Chapter 9

Draco POV

Rounding the corner to the Black Lake, I bent my knees over and took deep breaths. The hike up here was not the easiest, but quite interesting -now personal. Hermione rushed to catch up to me and had her sweater tied around her waist. I smiled in my head and summoned us a blanket to lay over the grass under a large, shady tree. . Hermione had no problem hiking up here, until she tripped, of course. I knew this would be nothing to her after having to trek the wilderness durning Voldemort's "rein." I shook the thoughts from my head and smoothed out the corners of the blanket and laid back, the grass a fantastic cushion. Hermione walked under the tree slowly, a look of confusion on her face. "What are you doing?" she said with the utmost concern. I laughed and stretched my arms above my head, "Resting." She scowled and placed her hands on her hips, "We are supposed to be learning our routes, and Head Boy should be making sure this," she gestured to the blanket," isn't happening." I shrug and pat the spot next to me,"Come on, Granger, song you want to confess more to me?" I hold my breath, hoping I didn't go too far. Her face was bright red and I thought I was a goner, but when she shrugged and sat beside me, my I let out my breath gratefully. I scooted a few inches away to make room, and she placed her head on her knees in a sad stance. "What is it?" I ask, leaning towards her. Hermione lifted her hand to brush some of her bushy locks out of her face," Just thinking." I tilt my head and scoot a little closer," Thinking about what?" She closes her eyes and leans back against the tree. Hesitating, she takes a deep breath and turns her head to me,"About the future is guess..." Now I am the one confused. In the softest voice I could manage, I ask," Why are you worrying about all of that now?" Hermione lifted her head and looked at me straight in the eyes. I had a hard time concentrating because her chocolatey brown irises were practically hypnotizing me. After a few seconds of another but not-as-awkward-as-the-others staring contest, she sighed. "I'm thinking about it now because after this year, we are sent off to find something worthwhile for out lives. One minute we are studying for exams and asking to use the toilet, and the other we are sent off to immediately understand house payments and healthcare costs." I didn't exactly understand what she was saying about the "healthcare costs" junk- probably muggle stuff- but it did make sense. The older generation is forcing us to immediately jump into out new lives as a full-fledged wizard and not mess up once. I opened my mouth to comment, but she cut me off with an interesting question that caught me way off guard. "What do you want to be known for?" Her eyes were big, just pleading for a comforting answer. I am nearly speechless, mostly because I didn't really know the answer myself. She looks like she is about to give up on my answering, but my mind clicks onto a truthful answer. "I guess anything but what I am known for now..." She nods and places her head in her hands, apparently now lost in her thoughts.