Chapter 14

Draco POV

The Great Hall is usually fairly empty on Wednesday afternoons, but even more so since it is the day before Halloween, and everyone is scrambling to make costumes and plan secret parties. There are only three otherssitting at the Slytherin table, which I am grateful for. I glance down at the letter my owl delivered to me this morning.

Draco,

It has been tough dealing with multiple punishments in Azkaban, and it was about time I escaped. So I did. Meet me in the courtyard tomorrow night. I will be disguised.

LM

How dull is that? It had completely bewildered me at first, yet I had known it was bound to happen. Of course he would think I would help him. And of course I wouldn't help.... Would I? I crumple the letter from my father in my hands, and stuff it into my pocket, disgusted by it's presence. Besides, I was going to ask Hermione to a Halloween party or a picnic or something that night... If I didn't chicken out, that is. I sigh and rest my head in my hands. How was I going to deal with Pansy? I groan, not wanting to think about that brat any longer. "What does it matter to you, Ron! You made it pretty clear I'm not worth anything to you!" Hermione's voice struggles to get out, and I instantly straighten. Hermione is giving Weasley boy a very irritated look, but I can tell she is masking pain. I feel my face flush. Did I cause this to happen? Or did it happen on its own? Either way, it makes me feel guilty because Hermione isn't happy. "I know I said we should take a break, but you are still mine. I don't want to take anymore breaks. I want you with me, Mione! Malfoy isn't worth your time! He is just playing with your emotions to break your heart!" I raise my eyebrow. I'm not that heartless. Weasley says harshly, grabbing her wrist. "You've already done that! Let go of me Ron!" Hermione says forcefully, glaring at him. Potter approaches them both and gently pries Wealsey's hand from Hermione's wrist. Harry, under his breath, coldly whispers something to Ron that makes his face turn red with annoyance and storm out of the Great Hall. Potter then clutches Hermione's shoulders and gently steers her towards Where him and Ginny usually sit. I sit there, stunned. How did Weasley find out about us? I wasn't going to ask Hermione now, because she looked drained from where I see. I stand and walls awkwardly over the the Gryffindor table where she sits. Potter sees me approach and raises his eyebrows suspiciously. I hold my hands up as a sign of peace, then gingerly tap Granger on the shoulder. She whirls around and is surprised to see me. She presents a small smile, excusing herself from her friends. "Draco, am I really glad to see you." she manages to breathe out, dragging me by my hand out to the courtyard. Her comment fills my body with warmth as she leads me to a bench hidden by low hanging willow tree branches. "I am happy to see you to, 'Mione." I say, clutching both of her hands. She looks down, her bushy hair covering her face. "Ron is angry, and I don't know what to do," Hermione says, choking on her words. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean for him to find out so suddenly..." A tear falls and lands on our clutching hands. I'm speechless. She blames herself for Ron's actions? I guess I did that with Pansy, but this feels different somehow. I scoot closer and wrap my arms around her, letting her head lay on my chest. "It's okay, Hermione. He doesn't matter. All that does is us. "I say, hoping it will help. Hermione sobs. "I lost him. He was my friend, and now he loathes me... Draco, we don't even know that much about each other..." She sniffs, looking up at me. I am caught off guard. She's right, we barely know any personal details about one other. I guess it's about time I ask her on a proper date.... "Don't be a coward, Draco." I tell myself. "The worst she can say is no." I clear my throat and get on one knee. "D-Draco?" She stutters, a look of confusion on her face as I hold both of her hands in mine. "Hermione Jean Granger. In order to fully allow myself to claim that you are mine, I must properly insist on your attendance at the Black Lake for an evening picnic tomorrow night. Also, that way, I can assure you that I will never allow anyone -especially black and red haired brats- to split us apart." I couldn't read her expression. Her eyes were wide and mouth slightly open. Did I do that right? Am I an idiot? Tears stream down her face, and I know now. I'm an idiot. I am about to apologize when she very quietly whispers,"Do you promise?" I relax and cup her chin. "I promise, butterfly." She laughs blissfully, falling into my arms. I hold her, stroking her hair as she rests her head on my shoulder. "I love you more and more each day," she whispers.