Chapter 10

Hermione POV

[TIME SKIP FOUR HOURS]

The Great Hall was stuffy this evening. I mean, really stuffy; not just from the mass of people, but my head was full of different thoughts that crowded my every nerve. I caught myself shaking my head every once in a while to clear my brain. I picked at my food, and I wasn't sure what I even had to think about. I finished my assignments already, right after I finished the rounds with....him. I am lying to myself. I know what I'm thinking about, and sitting next to Ron's adorable face wasn't making anything better. I could feel my face sadden from the guilt Malfoy left me with after the last round was over. "You are a good person, Hermione Granger," he had said," Don't let anyone tell you otherwise." Would have been a nice way to end our "outing" wouldn't it? But no, he just had do bend over and kiss my cheek. Why would he do that to me when he knew about me and Ron! Man, was I furious. Yes, I actually had some real evidence to feel guilty about this time. Risking a quick glance over to the Slytherin table, I sighed, trying to hide my sadness, but I guess my efforts were short-lived, since my depressed demeanor seeped through. Ron was the first to notice. "'Mione," he said, tilting his head to look at me from the side," What happened today?" Harry and Ginny, stopped their important Quidditch tryout conversation to look at me, apparently wondering the same thing. I caught my breath, wondering if I should tell them. I switched back to Ron's face, and couldn't say it. His expression was soft and kind, a comfort loving in his eyes. I finally forced a smile and said,"Oh, nothing, just a weird day doing rounds with Draco." My voice cracked on the word Draco, and Ron's face fell. I realized my slip up. "Since when have you been so casual as to call him Draco?" Harry asked, but not in the rude, accusatory way. I stammered, not knowing what to say. "Does it matter?" Ginny squeaked. Harry shrugged and started writing down Quidditch stats. I felt relieved that the conversation was over until I went back to Ron again. His eye twitched. "W-what did Malfoy do to you, Hermione." He whispered furiously. "N-nothing! Nothing happened!" I breathed out, frightened by his sudden outburst. His eyes flash, and he stabs the chicken on his plate. "Don't lie to me, Hermione. If he did something to you," he pauses, his tone of voice rising," Tell me." I open my mouth, but hesitate. If I tell him what Draco did, he would be driven on jealousy. I don't want Malfoy to get hurt......but if I lie to him, then it will only cause more problems. This wasn't even a big deal anyway! It wasn't my fault Draco decided to be a gentleman! "Draco-mind you he does have a proper name- wanted to be a kind person and said goodbye in the utmost friendly way by kissing my cheek." his eyes flamed, but before I let him speak, I held up a finger," Certainly only a Victorian way to dismiss a friend to her thoughts. Yes we are friends now, and I won't have even you or them," I gestured to the entire Gryffindor table," try to force me to think differently!" I swung my head around to my plate and started to eat my carrots like nothing had happened. "Ron, you're turning a frightful shade of red," Ginny noted, and I restrained myself to look at his face. I knew I mortified him, and I didn't realize how loud I had been talking until the few people around us were silently communicating to each other. The rest of the hall was as noisy as can be so I didn't have to worry too much about that. Harry spoke up,"She's right mate, you need to calm down and drink some water or something..." Ron grumbled and stood up. "See you guys in the common room," and turned to leave, shooting a glare at the Snake table. I let out the breath I was holding and looked up at Harry and Ginny. They were staring at me, but didn't look upset. "You're right you know. He shouldn't be so jealous that you decided Malfoy should be another of yours- if would have happened eventually," Ginny said, leaning in. Harry coughed," That's true, but the kissing your cheek part doesn't seem very convincing that it was only a "friendly gesture. Take it from me, I am a guy." I shrugged and put my head in my hands. Was I too forceful? "Oh goodness, did I just ruin everything?" I pouted, but Harry lifted up my chin and laughed," Oh no, 'Mione. Just a little bump in the road. Ginny and I will talk to him for you, if that's alright," Ginny happily nodded. I smiled. "Thank you, guys. I don't know what I would do without you." I nodded to them and stood, heading towards the Gryffindor Common Room.