39. The Boys Lana Loves

Author's Note: Well, it's time for a scene from the Breakout Couple...Lana and Finn. I really didn't have them fated, in the original plot. But damn, they are entertaining! The second half of the chapter is Lana and Sean, alone for the first time in the novel. You finally get to see their REAL dynamic. This was a great chapter to write!

Song for this Chapter: Repercussions by Bea Miller. Lana's song, obviously.

Lana beeped her car horn at her handsome boyfriend, who stood on the side of the road near her dorm. He looked perfectly casual in his fifty dollar t-shirt, designer khaki shorts, and his twenty thousand dollar smile. What was odd was the way his thumb was extended in hitchhiker pose.

She was sure he'd never hitched a ride in his life.

Before she even fully stopped, he was jerking the door open. Throwing himself into the seat, he gave her a swift kiss on the cheek.

"Thanks."

"What are you doing?"

"Practicing my homeless skills," he joked.

Lana ignored his poor joke. After Ostara, Finn had come clean about his godspawn status, including how his family wealth was tied to their service in the Pantheon. Finn was sure he would lose everything, if he went against Mercury. And yet, he was equally sure about switching sides, and that his double agent status couldn't last long. He was morosely fixated on his "ruination."

Lana was more worried about his life than his portfolio. Mercury was furious with Finn all the time lately. But maybe, just maybe...that dog didn't hunt. So far, nothing about Finn's circumstances had changed, except he had a phone with Mercury's harsh voice in his ear constantly.

"I meant, where's your truck?"

"It's too damn big to park anywhere but the main lots. So I just walked down here, but you weren't where you were supposed to be." Seeing her lack of comprehension, he added, "I thought we had a lunch date...in your room." he raised his eyebrows but there was no anger in his tone, just inquiry.

Lana grabbed his arm in apology. "Dammit, Finn, I'm so sorry. I totally forgot. Dru called me to check in on Hearne, but then Carrie sent me away to check on Sean..."

"Doesn't matter, you're here now."

As she parallel parked the car on Main Street near Malone's, Finn pulled her into a series of kisses that alternated between her lips, her jaw, and beneath her ear, while he breezed over her breasts and her crotch with light touches. Lana felt her insides melt. Between classes, Finn constantly reporting to Mercury AND Cernunnos, Lana constantly reporting to Cerridwen and helping to take care of both Sean and the Horned God, they hadn't seen each other for more than a consecutive half hour in weeks.All of their interludes had been like this...brief, heated, and most ended satisfying—but she missed the lazy nights in his bed at the Chevron. She deepened their kiss, running her hands over his head, mussing his perfectly gelled hair. He groaned and reached a hand underneath her, pulling her across the console into his lap.

"I didn't mean to stand you up, baby. You wanna just do it right here, right now?" she teased him. "I don't give a fuck who's watching." She waved at Grace, who was exiting the drug store with a plastic bag full of purchases, and a Red Bull.

"Get a room," Grace sing-songed exuberantly, tapping the trunk of Lana's ten year old Honda Civic.

Lana planted a hand on the window in acknowledgment, and Grace tactfully put her hand against the window, but chugged her Red Bull to avoid looking in. Then, her short dark bob was swinging as she skipped down the street.