XIX

Speechless • Dan + Shay

"I'm speechless
You're standing there in that dress
Girl ain't a secret
'Cause watching you is all that I can do, oh
I'm speechless
You already know that you're my weakness
After all this time I'm just as nervous
Every time you walk into the room
I'm speechless"

December 31, 2019

Los Altos, CA

It didn't seem like a whole year had gone by since Amora met Mel, she felt like they'd known each other forever.

At the moment Amora was coming home from the spa. She wanted to look phenomenal for Mel, it had been decided by the couple that they would be celebrating their anniversary on New Year's Eve, seeing as they met on that day.

The gift that she got Mel was something that she hoped he'd like, after shopping for his Christmas present last week, it was a bit easier for her to shop for him.

Once she made it back to the house, everyone was busy running around getting things ready for the party.

"Amora! Get dressed, the party starts in an hour and a half!" Arianne was outdone by her daughter's lack of punctuality.

"Sure thing, mama!" Amora jogged to her room and was instantly seated by Fiana and Faye.

"You're late, Amora. We don't have all the time we'd like, but of course, you're still going to look amazing." Fiana said as she turned Amora's chair away from the mirror.

Faye began to put makeup on Amora's face, and Fiana began styling her hair.

Two hours passed and Faye and Fiana were finally done. Amora told them she wanted to look extra beautiful, so it took an extra thirty minutes.

"Alright, your mother will be upset about you being late, but she won't be able to deny your beauty," Faye said as she spun Amora's chair to face the mirror.

Amora was highly impressed, she knew that Mel would love her look. And she knew, well hoped that he would enjoy his present.

Amora hugged Fiana and Faye and kissed their cheeks. "Thank you, ladies. I hope to see you down soon!"

The music was blasting as Mel walked into the house, his parents were with him and they were excited.

"Melly, why'd we have to show up twenty minutes late? You were dressing a lot longer than usual." Genie didn't like being late.

Mel rolled his eyes. "Mom, the party lasts till three in the morning, I'd say we're early."

Sullivan chuckled and went to find some familiar faces.

Genie followed Sullivan and Mel sighed in relief. His mother could be overbearing.

Mel walked to the bar and waited for the bartender. "No freaking way! Melchizedek, it's me, Henry! Of course, you remember me, but, you know." Henry waved at Mel and fixed his usual.

Mel grimaced slightly and waved his hand back at Henry. "I remember you, Henry."

Henry smiled and gave himself a drink. He was going to talk Mel's head off.