Chapter 4 - A Fated Encounter

Kairi was taught how to ride a horse early on and she was allowed to ride on her own. A couple of her had managed to make a life bond with magical demon beasts so they rode on their beasts instead while the other three simply took out their swords. It hovered in midair and they easily jumped on top of it. One by one they flew off. Wei Xing had also had a magical beast but he didn't ride on his nor did he use his sword. He rode a horse like her and she couldn't help but wonder if he did it to appease her. She swore to work hard so that one day she could ride her sword easily like her Shishus. It would be even better if she found her own demon magical demon beast. The ride down the mountain took an entire day so by the time they made it into town, the sky had turned dark. They had to reserved rooms at an inn and only Kairi was given a single room. Just as they were being escorted to their rooms, Kairi noticed a few men in the inn staring intensely at her. Did they know her, or more like, did they know Xiao You? She didn't have long to think about it because Wei Xing had already ushered her along.

"Tu Er, don't wander out of your room at night, do you hear me?" Wei Xing warned.

"Yes, Shifu." She closed the door and locked it before eyeing her room. There was a nice size, comfy bed, a table with a tea set on top, and a large screen to block off the bathing area. Wei Xing had already ordered a bath for her and there was soon a knock on the door. A young girl walked in and quickly filled up the tub. She left without another word as soon as she finished. Kairi realized that life really was completely different in this world. A girl, who was the same age as Kairi, was already working. She realized how lucky she was to have met kind people like Grandmaster Liu and Madam Liu.

Kairi had just started to undress when there came another knock on the door.

"Who is it?"

"Ah... your leader had asked us to bring you some late night snacks," came a male voice. A late night snack? Wei Xing knew about Kairi's current level of cultivation. She could go days without food and she'd still be fine. One night without food wouldn't kill her so she knew that Wei Xing wouldn't waste money and order her food. She then remembered those two suspicious men back in the lobby.

"One second," she called out. Once she adjusted her robes, she grabbed her sword and stood off to one side. She undid the lock and the doors swung open. The clerk at the front desk walked in with a plate of rice cakes and dumplings. He placed it on the table and bid a good night. Kairi forced a smile and nodded as the clerk walked back out. So it wasn't the suspicious men, she thought. Once she shut the door and locked it, she stared at the food on the table.

"Did Shifu order this...?" she thought. She went over to sniff it and her eyes bulged. She had taken time out of training to learn the difference between magical herbs and its properties. The food had been spiked with sleeping powder made from a passion flower.

Oy! I may have a twelve year old body but I'm not stupid!

She glared viciously at the snacks and turned her back on it. She went around the screen and finally took off her clothes so she could bathe. Once she finished, she dressed into light blue robes and got into bed. There was no way she was falling asleep tonight. Instead, she crossed her legs together and cultivated instead.

It was almost four in the morning when the two servants of Lan Manor decided to act. When they saw Kairi walked into the inn, their spirits almost jumped out of their bodies. Since they did not know that the current Xiao You was Kairi, they quickly assumed that the real Xiao You was still alive. If the Second Lady and Madam Feng found out that the First Lady, Xiao You had not died, they were sure that their lives were forfeit so they decided to act quickly. They had paid the clerk a hefty amount to drug the snacks that had been sent into the room of Kairi's, then they waited until early in the morning when they were sure that the men Kairi had come with had fallen asleep. They climbed up the ladder to the second floor where Kairi's room was. The window swung open with a slight creak and they jumped inside. The room was dark and the only light they had was from the moon outside. It casted two dark shadows across the ground. Since they weren't cultivators, they weren't able to hide their presence but they didn't think they need to. After all, their target was a ten year old little girl.