Chapter 39 - Third Prince Dies

"Would you believe me if I said that it was for the good of his highness?" she asked. He didn't reply. His glare intensified. If looks could kill, Kairi would be dead a million times. She sighed and shrugged. "I've been digging for proof of the late queen's adultery and the consort's death."

"And why would you do that?" he questioned her. Kairi was about to explain herself when she felt a sudden pain in her abdomen.

"Not now...!" Kairi doubled over in pain. The soul collision was starting up. She didn't know if it was a good thing or bad thing but the pain was ten times worse than the last time it happened. Yang Guo had assumed she was pretending at first but then rushed to her side when he saw her spit out blood.

"What's wrong?" he cried. Kairi struggled to keep conscious but reality was merging with her core's void. She could see Xiao You waking up from behind the seal.

"It's too soon. Not yet. Please, just a little bit longer," Kairi pleaded with Xiao You. As if she heard her plea, Xiao You's eyes fluttered for a brief moment and then closed again.

"What do you mean?" she heard Yang Guo asked. She grasped him by the shoulder and said, "I'm fine. It'll pass."

"Are you injured internally?" he exclaimed. He wasn't wrong.

"Take me back. Make sure no one knows," she said before passing out completely.

Upon waking up, Kairi found herself in her own bed. She could hear Wan Yi asking someone about her condition.
"It is most strange. I've never seen anything like it. The lady's core has been sealed yet her body is gathering spiritual energy. It's working together and against each other. I'm sure she's had multiple fainting episodes before this," the physician explained.
"Her core has been sealed? Is there any way to unseal it?" he asked.

"I'm afraid not. I've never seen anything like this. Her meridian points were all forced open. I could close her main meridian point but I'm afraid she would become a cripple forever," the physician said. Kairi sat up in bed forcing both men to stop talking.

"How are you feeling?" Wan Yi asked. He looked as if he hasn't slept. She felt extremely guilty. They didn't know each other long but he had stayed up by her bedside without rest.

"I'm alright, your highness. It's just an old illness," she replied. The physician frowned as he asked, "Lady Xiao You, you do understand what would happen if your meridian points are strained like this, do you?"

"I understand perfectly, elder. I've already found a way to cure this. It won't be long now," Kairi said.

"Are you sure?" Wan Yi asked. Kairi assured him with a smile and a nod.

"I didn't want to worry you so I didn't say anything. I promise everything will be alright soon," Kairi said. Wan Yi let out a sigh of relief. The physician wrote down a prescription for her and was escorted out. The light from outside was dim and Kairi realized it was late.

"Your highness. I'm fine. You can go back and rest," she said to him.
"Let me stay by your side. I'm worried you might faint on me again," he said frowning. She smiled. If this was how worried he already was, she was sure that things would work out between him and Xiao You.

"I'm alright, I swear. Please go back and rest," she pleaded. He sighed heavily and nodded. Once he was gone, Kairi breathed out a sigh of relief. She immediately sat up and meditated. She had slept too long and now her spiritual energy was out of whack. It was going to take at least an entire night to bring it under control.

It was extremely late and dark but she could make out a shadowy figure sitting by her bedside. A warm hand clasped around hers and she felt spiritual energy entering into her body.