Chapter 8 - A Night with the Womanizer

They walked into a small shop and Zhang Sheng finally set Kairi back down on her feet.

"Wait right here. I just need to pass something to the clerk real quick," he said and patted her head. She slapped his hand away only for him to laugh heartily at her. Kairi cocked her head to the side as Zhang Sheng walked up to the counter and asked for an Ouyang Feng. She never noticed how mysterious her fifth shishu was. The clothes he wore weren't generic. His robe was a white brocade silk robe and the pin in his hair looked like it would cost an arm and a leg. Just who exactly was he? Even his identity was kept secret within the sect. She saw Zhang Sheng pass over a beautifully carved wooden box with a lock on it. His conversation was barely audible and it didn't last more than a minute. The conversation ended quickly and Zhang Sheng turned around with a smile on his face.

"Let's go have some fun," he chirped. Kairi was about to protest but she was quickly swept into his arms again and carried outside.

All the lanterns were already lit and the entire street was flooded with different colors. The scent of delicious food filled Kairi's nostrils and her stomach growled. She blushed brightly and prayed that Zhang Sheng didn't hear it but her prayers went unheard. He chuckled and looked up at her.

"Why don't we go grab something to eat?" he asked. The both of them walked down the street and he asked, "What would you like to eat?"

Kairi eyed the street and saw a street vendor selling fresh meat buns and noodles.

"I want some meat buns and noodles," Kairi said as she pointed to the stall.

"Buns and noodles, it is." He carried her over to the vendor and took a table where a family had just gotten up from.

"Ah, welcome honored guests! What will you have tonight? My meat buns and noodles are famous in this town!" the vendor exclaimed.
"Two bowls of noodles and four meat buns, please," Zhang Sheng told him. The vendor nodded and turned around yelling out their order. The food was set down in front of them and Kairi quickly started eating. She was too hungry to care about table etiquette. Kairi was already half way done with her bowl when she saw that Zhang Sheng had been staring at her.

"What?" she asked as she wiped her mouth.

"I find you strangely adorable, my little shizhi," Zhang Sheng commented. The way he stared at her was like that of a doting father and she felt strange.

"You're being weird, Mr. Womanizer," Kairi said as she continued slurping down her noodles.

"Aw! I feel hurt! I was complimenting you," he said frowning. Kairi was starting to change her view on him. He seemed more like a cheesy father figure than anything else at the moment.

"You're grossing me out instead," Kairi replied and quickly finished her noodles. Zhang Sheng smiled brightly and rubbed her head affectionately. The wife of the owner came over with the meat buns and set down.

"Aw, your father must dote on you, little one. He bought so many meat buns for you," the wife of the owner commented. She walked away and Kairi frowned instantly while Zhang Sheng laughed heartily. She rather copy the Disciplinary Rules for the rest of her life than be that womanizer's daughter. She snatched a meat bun and took a large chunk out of it.

"Eat up, my dear daughter," he joked and rubbed her head affectionately. It seemed he was getting used to rubbing her head. She slapped his hand away and got up from the table but didn't get far. Zhang Sheng had easily swept her up into his arms. Sighing in defeat, she let him carry her and decided that she was going to make his life a living hell instead.

"Look at those lanterns!" Kairi exclaimed as she patted him harshly on the shoulder like an excited child. The both of them approached the booth full of beautiful lanterns. Her eyes landed on a pretty pink lotus lantern. She stretched her hand out and the moment her hand touched the lantern, another hand reached out after her. Kairi frowned instantly. It's the second time that someone's tried to grab the item she wants. She followed the outstretched arm up to the face of a woman. She wasn't your average looking girl either. Her skin was pale and soft. Her lips were tinted with a lovely shade of pink and her eyes were big accented with perfectly drawn eyebrows. The pretty woman looked down at her and she half expected the woman to let the lantern go but instead, the pretty woman yanked it out of Kairi's grasp and batted her eyes at Zhang Sheng.