Chapter 16 - An Eye for an Eye

As always when Kairi got angry and wanted to vent, she pulled out her jade hairpin and glared at it.

"Zhang Sheng ah! This is all your fault! You should've broken that pervert's legs and arms! If only you had done that, he wouldn't come threatening me with marriage and I wouldn't have come to live here in the Lan Manor," Kairi muttered. Out of anger, she would start calling him by his name and as always turned it into a habit. Eventually, she stopped calling him Fifth Shishu altogether. She sighed heavily as she started at the jade hairpin. It's been a few months since she last heard Zhang Sheng say anything through the hairpin. He says that as long as she talked through it, he'll hear her. She felt even more alone now than ever. She knew no one here besides A Hua. Everyone else were just jerks. "I hate it here! The people here are evil! The servants make me pay three gold coins for my food which only consists of boiled vegetables and rice with a few pieces of barbecue meat. You know how much I love eating food. They bully and abuse A Hua too! She went to make me dinner and they all ganged up on her! If you were here, you'd punish them all for me, right? You're my fifth shishu and the prince of Eden. You'll back me up, right...? Why won't you reply back? Why did you stop replying back?"

She waited silently for a long time but she didn't hear his voice. Not even his slight chuckle to let her know that he heard everything. In the end, she gave up waiting and muttered, "Fine. Don't say anything. I won't say anything to you anymore either, you womanizing jerk!" She slammed the jade hairpin down onto the table with a loud thud. Wrapping her arms tightly together in front of her, she glared at it hoping that Zhang Sheng felt how angry she was. As she did this, she suddenly felt like a scorned girlfriend who hasn't talked to her boyfriend in months.

"Ha! As if!" She suddenly felt silly for even thinking of it and jumped into bed. She really wasn't going to talk to him anymore, she promised viciously and fell asleep.

The first night was horrible. She had just fallen asleep when one of the servants came over to her courtyard to pull a prank. Someone had burnt old firewood near the window and smoked up the entire house. Kairi and A Hua almost suffocated as they rushed outside for fresh air. She had to open up all the windows and door to air it out. By the time the smoke disappeared, her bedding ended up smelling like smoke. That was the last straw! If that was how they wanted to play it, Kairi was more than happy to play along.

It was already morning but the sun hadn't risen above the horizon. Kairi used to play pranks on the naughty children who cheated each time they played a game. It helped taught them not to cheat. She grinned as she held up a pouch of itching powder. Kairi had found out where those rude male servants' living quarter was from A Hua and jumped up onto the rooftop. Turned out they all slept together. It worked quite well for her as she would only strike back at those who had struck her. She sat above the door and waited for each and every servant to come out. One by one they came out and Kairi sneakily sprinkled itching powder on them. It was weightless and undetectable; her own invention. Her shoulders shook with each quiet laugh that came out of her mouth. She then jumped from rooftop to rooftop and came upon the kitchen. It was still dark out so even if she hid above the roof, no one would notice so once again, Kairi sprinkled the powder onto the cooks who one by one entered the kitchen. She completely emptied the pouch and finally returned to her courtyard. She quickly burned away the evidence and laughed as she told A Hua the story. Then Kairi handed A Hua three gold coins so that when she got to the kitchen to make breakfast, she could just throw the coins in their faces so A Hua wouldn't get beat up again. A Hua returned later with congee and some fresh fruits. She was laughing her head off as she told Kairi about the kitchen crew scratching and complaining about an intense itch that won't go away.

"That's what they get for messing with us!" Kairi laughed. She happily ate her congee and fruits forgetting all about her anger.

Breakfast ended without a hitch and Kairi instantly started up on her projects. She dug at the weeds in the garden and tilled the soil. All of this was a breeze compared to hunting for demon beasts and searching for magical herbs in the dangerous mountain. She happily worked away at the garden humming every now and then. A Hua came back with seeds that Kairi had asked her to buy. They both quickly planted the seeds and watered it.