33- Daddys Home

Delilah buzzes anxiously around Luke as the two enter their house after being driven home by Liz. Luke sighs with a fond smile. "I'm fine, babydoll. Stop worrying."

Delilah raises an eyebrow and shakes her head. "Fell."

"Yes baby, but I'm okay." Delilah gives a look luke can't decipher and tries to make him sit down, and when he finally cooperates and does it, she looks in his eyes and over his head. Luke laughs. "Delilah, really sweetheart, daddy's fine."

"No daddy, fell, hit. Broke." She taps his forehead and points to his arm and then leg to clarify what she means like she thinks Luke doesn't remember.

Luke sighs and shakes his head with a chuckle. "I remember little one, but I feel fine, you don't need to worry about me." Delilah squints and shakes her head, brushing Luke's assurance off and clearly not believing him.

"Hungry?" She asks, and Luke raises an eyebrow.

"You're hungry?" Delilah shakes her head and giggles like Luke's so silly.

"You hungry, daddy?"

"No baby, daddy's not hungry. And when he is, he can take care of it himself." Delilah nods but still doesn't seem to believe it. It briefly occurs to Luke that he should probably stop talking about himself in third person to Delilah if he's gonna teach her to speak correctly.

"Baby hungry." Delilah states before hopping up and running to the kitchen. Luke stands too, grabbing his crutches and following her.

"Daddy- I'll make you something, bunny." Delilah looks at him with wide eyes and shakes her head.

"No! Daddy sit. Baby can do it." Luke frowns and pouts, hoping this not letting him take care of her thing doesn't last, but he doesn't argue for now. He sighs and sits, watching as Delilah flits about getting milk and climbing on the counter to get a bowl as Luke warns her to be careful - don't need her falling and cracking her head open too. Delilah huffs when she tries to get cereal but can't reach or find anything to climb.

"Daddy?" She asks meekly. Luke smiles, happy to do something, and stands to fetch it for her.

"Thank you help daddy." The blond smiles and kisses her head.

"It's, 'thankyou for helping me'" he corrects. Hey, when he's disabled and can't do much else is the best time to teach her.

"Thank you for helping me, daddy." Delilah repeats, nodding curtly.

"You're very welcome doll. Getting so good at talking, such a good girl." He kisses her cheek and sits down to let her finish making her bowl of cereal before she brings it to the table to eat next to daddy. Luke smiles and pulls her into his lap, pulling her bowl in front of her too.

Delilah gasps and turns to him with worried eyes, grabbing his injured arm gently and looking over it to make sure he didn't hurt it in the process while she scolds him. "No daddy! You hurt! Can't up." She sighs, kissing his cheek.

"Daddy's- I'm fine little girl, don't tell me what to do. I won't do anything that'll hurt me, okay?" Delilah frowns.

"Promise?"

"I promise baby." Delilah nods, obviously not pleased but agreeing anyway.

Despite Luke's hopes, delilahs independent behavior continues for the next week, not letting Luke do anything for her and trying not to let him do anything for himself. It's endearing, but Luke hates feeling useless, he likes taking care of his baby, and he feels like she being too big, he wants her to stay his little girl. What if she never lets him take care of her again?