Chapter 2

The Eurotas River was calm the next morning

The Eurotas River was calm the next morning. Poseidon had blessed her fellow Trojans with a safe journey home, though in her heart she wished the sea god had brought the wrath of the oceans so that they would have to delay their journey. The docks on the river were littered with Trojans loading the boats that would take Hector, Paris and Aeneas back to their country. It had been a year since they had seen Troy, and now they were returning without her. She felt a deep ache for her home.

Paris was the first to say goodbye. The charming prince tapped on the side of his leg and gazed nervously about him as he approached Titania. He gave her a half-smile, encircling her in a tight embrace before releasing and giving her a knowing glance, "These Spartans will be running for the hills when you're done with them."

Titania chuckled, "Just as the cows did when we were younger."

"You were a terrible herdsman."

"I know you idiot," she smacked him on his arm as he teased her, "thankfully cows are no longer our concern." On the gangplank behind her brother their servants loaded a large, ornate crate onto the ship. Its edges were lined in gold whilst the flat faces were transcribed with the labors of Heracles. Titania furrowed her brows, "What a beautiful box, Paris. What's it for?"

Paris coughed, "Oh, nothing. Just a gift from Helen to mother, since the queen could not see us off herself."

Titania smiled, "Mother will enjoy it." She gave him another hug, "Do not fret that your lover isn't here to say goodbye. It's better for both of you."

Paris chose not to respond, but in a very non-Paris fashion he asked her, "You know that I love you, right?"

Titania frowned, "Of course I do. Why are you so nervous, brother? Poseidon has blessed your voyage."

He shrugged before coughing lightly into his fist, "Must be afraid of not having my sea legs." He scratched the back of his neck and gazed over her shoulder, "Promise me that at the first sight of trouble you'll get on a boat and go straight home, father's trade deal be damned."

"I suppose. Is something wrong, Paris? Did you hear something?"

As if he suddenly grew aware of what he was saying, the young prince hurriedly started walking away from her and yelled over his shoulder, "Oh nothing, just in case, little sister! See you on the other side of the Aegean!"

Titania shrugged to herself. Odd. Her thoughts had no time to dwell on Paris' actions, for Hector was quick to envelope her in a similar hug. She smiled into his shoulder. The older prince had taken her under his wing when she arrived at the palace, and now would be the first time they were separated since they met five years ago.

"Don't worry about me, big brother, I can handle a few pompous Spartans," she mumbled into his shoulder.

She felt him nod his head, "I know. I know you can. I just wish you weren't here alone."