Epilogue

Apollo was happy that his daughter hadn't seen the worst of it. She didn't see Paris slain by Agamemnon before he stole Helen back to Greece. She didn't see Andromache and Hecuba be taken prisoner by Odysseus. She didn't see Priam fall, nor Odysseus throw Astyanax over the city walls.

Agamemnon didn't see anything. He didn't see the live body hidden beneath the fallen Amazons and the hand that managed to stay connected with his love even as he waited days before he made his escape. Aeneas didn't leave before giving them all a proper burial. His friends would wait for him on the other side of the River Styx.

Apollo cursed them all. The gods rallied behind them

The defilers of Hecuba were struck by Zeus' bolt and destroyed by Poseidon's trident. Diomedes never returned to his home. Apollo cursed him to be lost at sea and settle in distant lands. Agamemnon was murdered by his wife, Clymnestra, in Mycenae. Odysseus was cursed to another 10 years at sea before returning to Penelope.

For destroying their temples, and unsolicited murder, the gods cursed the Greeks for generations to come. Years after the Trojan War, Apollo saw the rise of a new empire. Rome conquered the Greeks with every bit of fury that the Greeks used against Troy. Apollo traced back the line of Remus and Romulus and smiled at what he found. Their forefathers bore the names Hector, Paris and Titania for generations. Their ultimate predecessor?

Aeneas of Dardania.