Chapter 7

She was sufficiently shocked to receive a summons from Achilles that night. Her mind rang with Patroclus' warning – despite her dislike of him, she wasn't in any position to defy his commands. Though her worries were ill-placed, for Achilles was in his cabin with Patroclus at his side. Both of them were feasting greatly, and Achilles' bronze sword was nowhere to be seen. Titania said nothing as she entered, her mind imagining a subconscious pain at her collar bone where he had pierced her skin the night before.

"Did you miss my company?" he joked.

"If you're referring to your poor swordsmanship then no."

Achilles' didn't react to her insult. He merely smiled mockingly at her, "Poor swordsmanship? I don't believe you have any leg upon which to comment. You were useless until you had a bow."

Titania chuckled, though stopped immediately once she heard the sound. She supposed the she was going delirious from being in the open ocean. She was not chuckling with a Greek, "Yes, that is true. I've always been particularly good with them."

"You're better than half this army, your ladyship. Troy must be proud to have a fighter like you."

Patroclus frowned at his side, but said nothing. His silence made Titania more comfortable. To her dismay she realised that conversations like this reminded her of happier times with her brothers after they practiced in the training yard. She decided to entertain it. Titania smiled sadly, "I suppose they were. I think it just felt right - the daughter of Apollo leading the archers in one of his greatest cities."

Achilles furrowed his brow as he munched a large bite off a carrot, "So if you aren't Priam's daughter, how are you a princess?"

"None of your business," she snapped, her eyes drifting to the smaller man at his side. She didn't like Achilles very much but she had a sharp distaste for his friend, especially after he threatened her.

Patroclus leapt to his feet, "You will speak with respect!"

Titania had always had a loose tongue. She couldn't hold it back any longer, "I am the Princess of Troy! I will speak as I see fit!"

Patroclus snarled and reached for his sword but Achilles simply rested an arm on his shoulder and the man halted immediately. He looked at Achilles in question, but the man shook his head, "The war has not yet started, Patroclus. It is too early to kill princesses." To Titania's surprise, he gestured to the door, "Perhaps you could see to the men for me?"

Patroclus sputtered out a light, "You want me to leave? Achilles I-"

"Patroclus," his voice was stern now, but not hostile at all. It was as though Achilles was speaking to a younger brother rather than a soldier. She'd never heard him use that tone, "Please."

The young man grumbled but exited the room, not without throwing a glare in Titania's direction. Titania smirked at him, happy that he finally learned his place. Patroclus reminded her of Pandarus, her old diplomacy teacher, who'd often given his opinion where it was not asked for.

Achilles was less welcoming than he was before. He gestured to the same seat she had taken the previous night, and she sat down hesitantly.

"He does not like you."

"How can you tell?" Titania hadn't meant to be sarcastic. It just sort of escaped from her lips before she could stop it.

Achilles raised a brow, his eyes colder than before, "I trust Patroclus with my life, and he's seen fit to warn me that you're using your sticky words to manipulate me and the crew. To make us, how did he put it, pity you."

Titania could feel her own eyes darken, "If you think I expect pity from any of-"

He silenced her with a wave of his hand, "I prefer to make such judgements for myself." Titania watched, wide-eyed, as he unsheathed his bronze sword once again, "I suggest you comply with my questions, princess. If I find that you are, in any sense, resistant, I will take it as a sign that Patroclus is right and that your presence is unproductive for me and my men." He dropped the blade onto the table, the tip pointing at her chest, "I think you know me well enough to know that I will not tolerate things that will take my glory from me."

"You can't hurt me. Agamemnon wants me for bargaining."

"I don't care about that wasted king. I care about my legacy." He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees and his head on his hands, "I want to make sure you don't threaten that. So I'll ask you again, if you aren't Priam's daughter, how are you a princess?"

Titania wished she had the strength to ignore him, to storm out of the room and not care what he or Patroclus had to think about her, but something told her that would be unwise. This man could've done far worse things to her, and instead he was trying to get to know her. He'd made a large speech about how it was for his own sake, but Titania saw through it. He wanted to understand what Patroclus was saying, and perhaps he even hoped he was wrong. Titania could not deny the opportunity that had presented itself. If this man started to trust her, maybe she could convince him to fight for her side instead of Agamemnon's.

"It's a long story," Titania sighed, "My brother, Paris and I, grew up as herdsmen near Troy. One day, he challenged the princes to a duel in the games. He ended up fighting Hector, and losing quite badly, but Priam saw the mark on his chest. The mark of the Trojan Royal family. Paris was the baby that had been stolen from the palace by wolves. That's how he became a herdsman - they found him in the woods where they'd left him.

"As for me, I was devasted when they took him into the palace. I didn't see him for days. It was only when he invited me for a visit that my sister, Cassandra, saw me and saw who my father was. Apollo had granted her the gift of prophecy, and when she saw me she saw his blood in me just as I saw the sight that was in her. Priam took me in, made me a princess to appease the god and allow prosperity to come to Troy. Cassandra interpreted all my father's wishes for me. Upon his will, I learnt how to fight. I was sent to the Amazons for a year. I led the army with Hector. It is by my father's will that I live a life no woman can dream of."

Titania fiddled with her fingers as her story hung in the air. She was no storyteller, but she hoped her candour had placed some trust in the mind of Achilles, "Can I ask you something?"

Achilles shrugged, seeming not eager to kill her, "If you wish."

"Why haven't you done it yet?" she looked at him with wide, sad eyes, "Raped me? It's what happens in these situations, isn't it? The poor princess is at the mercy of her captors, hoping simply that there's no child?"

Achilles gave her a small smile, "I wouldn't worry about that, Princess. One day I will lay with you, and I can promise that it will be completely consensual."

Titania couldn't respond. Any speech she hoped to make about how she would never be with a Greek was robbed from her lungs by the loud announcement of land ahead. The doors to the cabin burst open, and Menesthius ran inside.

"We've reached Troy."