Chapter 33

Titania sighed peacefully as she looked over the walls to the edges of her country. The Greek camp could be seen in the distance, but it didn't appear to be very active. Their days of mourning would end soon, and she feared that perhaps they were preparing for a final assault on her city. These 12 days gave many people time to reflect on the events of the past few years. War seemed tedious now. She doubted the Greeks would want to stay much longer, but they would not leave without claiming victory.

Titania breathed in heavily and looked towards the sky in exasperation. How am I supposed to do this without you?

Hector would've known what to do. She was sure of it. Her brother had been the best commander in the history of Troy. Aeneas, her siblings and herself were doing the best they possibly could, but none of them had Hector's natural knack for these things.

"You are worried again," The Amazonian Queen perched herself beside Titania, "The frown lines are back."

Titania chuckled exasperatedly, "How can I not worry? We don't have much time left. Soon we'll be fighting again, and we don't have Hector anymore."

Penthesileia stood with her hands fastened behind her back, "Having Apollo fight on our side will turn the tide, Titania. I am sure of it."

Titania was tempted to hug the woman, but she knew the amazons weren't particularly affectionate. Penthesileia was the closest thing she'd ever had to a mother, and right now she could do with a mother's hug, "Apollo told me how to defeat him - how to exact my revenge."

The queen pursed her lips, "And?"

"He spoke in riddles," Titania rolled her eyes, "He told me that the answer was in my mother's identity, but I do not know who she is or where she came from. How am I supposed to do this if he doesn't give me straight answers?"

"I will not pretend to understand the gods," the queen mused, "But often they have an insight that many of us do not have. They know what to tell us so that the answers come to us only when we need them, and not a moment too soon."

"It is frustrating." Titania sat down on the floor and leaned her back against the half-wall that lined the top of the city barrier.

Penthesileia joined her on the floor, "Yes it is, but the gods are family and that is how families work. They frustrate us, and they lie, and they tell us what only they think we should know, but we are still loyal. You know that better than most."

Titania chuckled, "You can say that again. These past few years have been horrid."

"Completely horrid? Have there been no moments of happiness since Sparta?"

Titania considered the question for a moment. For years they had been at war, and for years she had fought daily to hide a part of herself that had been transformed during her time with the Greeks. She'd lost two siblings. Paris and Aeneas had nearly disowned her. She'd been injured, battered and bruised and she'd fallen for a man who did nothing but hurt her even when he was far away on a distant beach.

But there had been moments of joy. She'd become closer to Hector. She'd recovered her position as commander of the archers. She'd reconnected with her Amazonian family, and she'd earned back the trust of her people. She'd found love.

Titania smiled knowingly at Penthesileia, "You are so wise, my queen. I am honoured to have fought by your side." Titania moved to untie her tight sandals and started to rub at her tired feet, ignoring the looks from the nearby soldiers, "Although I fear my marriage means I may no longer join your ranks."

Penthesileia waved the thought away, "I didn't think you would do it any case, though I'd hoped you'd chang- what is that?"

Titania tried to see what Penthesileia was looking at, but couldn't see anything. The woman wasn't looking over the wall at the Greeks or into the city, but at the floor, "What are you talking about?"