Chapter 31

"Hello Sophia." I said when she answered her phone.

"Nells! Is Lydia alright? You're bringing her back, aren't you." The last part wasn't a question, or a request. It was her order.

"Yes, she's great actually." I informed her.

"And when will you be here with her?" Now that was a question, expecting her order to be followed.

"Never." There was a long silence as I waited for her to accept I was never bringing Lydia back to the farm. "Remember that package I gave you to keep and hide, the emergency package?"

"Yes, I still have it if that's... Something's happened hasn't it?" She'd put two and two together.

"I'm afraid so. You and Randle need to evaporate." I told her.

Sophia sighed into the receiver. "I was afraid this would happen one day, I knew it would."

So did I, like her, I hoped it never would, but we both expected it to happen. "Get the package, use what's inside. There're instructions and everything you need. Have Randle help you. There's a currier coming with a special speedy delivery for you. There's a phone inside. When it arrives, keep it handy. A friend of mine will be calling you with instructions. You need to get away from the farm. There will also be two new identities, the pictures aren't perfect, but they'll work."

Her voice was scared. "How... how long do we have to pack, a day, two?" She asked.

"The package should be there in less than an hour. The phone will ring, answer it and do exactly what my friend tells you. He's going to tell you where to meet him and what to do. I'd get packing now if I were you." I told her.

The line was quiet. "Sophia?" I said, I didn't know if we lost connection or she was simply being quiet.

"Nells?" Randle's voice said.

"Yeah." I answered.

"Sophia's packing, I'm getting the emergency package, I've already looked thru it and read your instructions." He told me, then he said, "Goodbye and thanks for the warning." Then he hung up.

This was actually a shock to me. Randle, he'd already opened the package, he wasn't pissed, he actually meant it when he said thanks. Sometimes, people surprise you.

"So, what's next?" Randi asked once I was off the phone.

"For you, stay here with Holland and Zandie incase they need you." Her face wilted. "For me, I need to go see a crazy chemist." I told her.

Holland looked away from the display of the computer he was at. He'd been cussing about wishing he had his computers back home. When we arrived at the place they were working on he'd said, 'Welcome to Shangri-Holland, it isn't much but it'll do.' All in all, it was fine.

"Crazy chemist? You're going to see Wanda, aren't you?" He asked.

I nodded. "I need things from her for Fat Prick."

"You know, I can probably get the things you want, I am well connected." Holland offered.

I shook my head. "I need them yesterday and I need her special touch."

Now Holland shook his head. "You know there's a reason we call her the crazy chemist, right?"

I laughed. "Yeah, because she's a crazy chemist, heavy on the crazy, and heavy on the chemist."

"How long has it been since you've seen her?" He asked.

"Oh, I don't know." I paused to think, then shrugged. "30 years, around that maybe. I'd seen her around after we parted ways, for a couple years anyways. Why?"