Subhadra

"Subhadra"she heard his call. And walked upto the door to welcome him inside.
Afterall he was her beloved husband,Arjuna. The man who was the most powerful warrior of the world..

"Arya. Do you have anything you need me to do?"she asked,her voice gentle,as if a wishper carried out by faint wind,with the fragrance of sandalwood that she carries.

Arjuna was still gloomy. Her gentle presence did nothing to elevate his mood it seemed.

She looked at him,and stood near him,but at a distance.

"Arya. Did you wish to meet Jiji?(Draupadi,the empress of five)?"she asked guessing his mood

At the mention of her name,he looked up.

She sighed. She had fallen in love with him first. When she had seen him,for the first time after he returned from the Gurukul. He was not the Arjuna of today,whose name resounded through the whole Aryavarta.

But she dared not confess. First,she was the little girl of Yadus. He was a prince. Even though they were powerful,the power structure was different in her home. Her brothers,they served the king. They could never have a kingdom. And many called them names. Farmers,cowhearders. What not. How dare she stand infront of the prince of Kuru to express her heart.

She had swallowed it up. Until the day her brother urged her to. And finally she was married to her beloved.

But then,she stood. Facing the jealousy of the Empress. Thankfully she was the sister of her Govind. She could find a home in the palace.

But at times,she could feel the haunting lonliness inside the huge palace. The Empress was too busy. Running around. And the maids,except the one she got from home. All were from Kurus. They dared not come closer to her. In fear.

And her husband. Always busy. Fighting this war. Going to this kingdom. Except the one year he had with the empress,he seldom stayed.

And whenever he stayed. He would be this gloomy self.

"Arya. Look. Bhrata has sent this music piece for you. He said he was playing his flute the other day. And thought. If you played it in Veena,it would sound brilliant "Subhadra said as she walked towards her box and picked up the paper..

Arjuna took it and walked towards the inner chamber. Where there was a Veena. White,made of ivory.

Soon the music floated around the room. As she sat a little afar. Listening to it. She wished to shut it. And ask him to talk to her. To listen to her. But she did not. She wished not to.

Atleast he came to her. But if she does something,he might spend the whole night drinking or practicing. Who knows.

The night passed. Arranging his dinner,taking care of his long beautiful hair.

Later in the night,she could hear the sound of the familiar anklets,gold,heavy outside the doors.

She walked upto the door. And opened it. She stood,in her queenly garbs.

"Subhadra. Has Arya slept?"she enquired.

Looking at her hair,the single saree draped over her body,the tired eyes. Draupadi could see. Arjuna has slept..

Subhadra looked down. Nodded.

Draupadi said nothing. Both had nothing to say at that moment. They were not opposing each other. Rather. Both understood.

Draupadi had told her countless times. How she and Arjuna would often talk about Govind and Subhadra whenever they had free time. Draupadi was always this free with her. After sometime passed.

No matter what came inbetween them,both understood. She was the one,for whom Krishna had left Subhadra with Arjuna. Because she was too innocent. Too pure. The fireborn princess.

Subhadra was there to guide the empress every way she needed. The kingdom,the palace was theirs. Of course there was dirty politics in that home too. But Subhadra was not subhadra for a reason. She had lived in a house where her brother had eight women. And except two,rest were prone to tantrums,used power of her brother all around. And their maids were very much the same.

The night passed. In the bed of Subhadra and Arjuna. As sun shone throw the curtain,he woke up,to the sight of her. Standing,in a single saree,hair draped around,watching the sunrise.