18

my heart sank when i heard those words come out of her mouth. she's my bestfriend, and i know she wouldn't make this up.

we were at the hallways of our school, talking and catching up on everything while i was gone. well, since i was away for the last part of the day.

jihyun told me about something she heard amongst the boys. niki in particular.

he was talking to his friends, except sunghoon, who wasn't around yet. she heard him talking about how the relationship sunghoon and i have right now might've originated from some kind of "dare".

a dare, huh.

__________________

"who told you that...?"

namkyu stared at jihyun, eyes filled with the look of pain.

"i don't know for sure, but i just heard them talking about something like that." jihyun replied before putting her hand on namkyu's shoulder, "but! don't think about it too much, it could be something completely different."

namkyu just looked down and shook her head, chuckling to hide the pain her voice, "yeah, of course... we shouldn't assume."

jihyun nodded, "that's right. just... try and ask him about it, you know? to make sure."

namkyu just nodded, "yeah.. i'll talk to him when i get the chance."

she thought, 'sunghoon wouldn't do that, right?'

'but then again, i wouldn't be surprised.'

'it'd be my fault for thinking i could trust a guy like him.'

on the other hand, sunghoon's friends were fooling around and also talking about the situation.

"seriously! how long are you gonna keep this up? aren't you sick of it?" niki asked, giggling with food in his mouth.

sunghoon just shook his head and looked down, "it's just... hard to right now." he sighed.

niki raised a brow, growing suspicious of the boy, "don't tell me... you fell in love with her?"

sunghoon stayed silent, slightly furrowing his eyebrows at the comment.

has he?

when there was no answer, niki became surprised. "no way..."

niki stood up and nudged the boy next to him, jake, "oh god, sunghoon actually fell inlove with her." he widened his eyes, even covering his mouth to act dramatic.

sunghoon shook his head, pissed, "no." he stood up, "shut up already, wasn't this what you wanted?" sunghoon glared.

niki chuckled, "i mean yeah, but i never said you had to date her for this long."

sunghoon tilted his head, confused, "then for how long?"

niki just shrugged and sat back down, "hmm. you could stop... now?"

the other just scoffed and brushed his hair back with his hand, a bit frustrated, "fuck." he muttered under his breath.

jay joined in the conversation, "dude, what's stopping you?" he asked sunghoon.

"nothing." he replied quickly.

niki and jay exchanged glances, a glance that had communication within before looking back at the boy, "mkay.. if you say so."

what sunghoon didn't know, was what these two were planning.

they both felt a bit bad for the girl as well, and as it seems, sunghoon has no romantic feelings whatsoever, said from the boy himself.

so, they decided that keeping this up for much longer would cause a bigger issue.

but what they didn't know, was that telling her might've been the root cause of the downfall in the two's relationship.

—afterschool

namkyu was walking down the halls alone, her backpack half-off her shoulders as she was trying to put something back in.

she quickly finished and zipped it up, putting her arm through the other bag strap before looking straight ahead.

as she faced the front, sunghoon's friends approached her. she slowed down her steps since she felt a bit intimidated.

"hey..." niki said, leaning onto the wall as the others just looked at him weirdly.

namkyu noticed jay nudging the boy and he immediately straightened up again.

"so..!" jay said, "how are you?"

namkyu looked side to side, confused. she was suddenly swarmed by his friends and she'd be lying if she said she wasn't uncomfortable.

"uh, i'm good." she said, forcing a smile to look believable.

he nodded, "well um..." jay started, but was interrupted by niki.

"there's something we have to-" before he could finish his sentence, jungwon jumped in,

"sunghoon asked you out because it was a dare." he said bluntly. this boy is usually silent most of the time so it surprised all of them.

they gave him death stares because of how straightforward he was.

it took namkyu a bit to take in those words, but her reaction was least of what they expected.

she looked down and just smiled before chuckling, after that, she looked up and turned to the side.

"yeah, i know." she muttered.

niki's eyes widened, he looked at his friends before looking back at the girl, "you knew?!"

namkyu just stared at him and nodded, "well, it's quite obvious isn't it?" she lied, "it's not like he'd date me out of his own will." she smiled weakly.

the boys began to feel bad. speaking of which, where even was sunghoon?

how would he react if he knew his friend's told her without telling him about it first?

niki just sighed and looked at the girl before slowly reaching out and putting his hand on her shoulder, "i'm sorry about this. you must feel terrible..." he said, acting a bit sad. it was pure bullshit.

his friends stared at him then at each other. what was he up to? why was he acting all sad as if he wasn't the one who started this whole dare?

he then tilted his head, "hey... so if you knew the whole time, why didn't you stop it?" he suddenly asked.

the girl just slowly shrugged to remove his hand off her shoulder before answering, "...because i like him," she said in complete honesty, "and i'm going to continue to like him until i hear it from him himself." she sighed.

she was actually hiding her emotions at the moment. she didn't want them to see her cry pathetically over something so minor that was also kind of expected.

but even just for a little, she believed that she really could be the person that sunghoon liked.

even if it sounded impossible,

she really wanted to be liked by him...

mean 😒