19

namkyu

after that conversation was over, i ran home quickly.

when i arrived, i was greeted by my little brother. he was born during a crucial time in our family, so i kind of took responsibility of him.

"junkyu? is mom here? why'd you open the door?" i asked the boy, looking past him in hopes of seeing another figure.

he shook his head and smiled, "nope! just me."

i was quite shocked even though this isn't the first time i came home to him being home alone. i quickly took off my shoes clumsily and dropped my bag before shutting the door.

"junkyu, mom told you not to go home by yourself anymore." i sighed, scolding the boy. my attention was averted when i smelt something from the kitchen.

i rushed there and noticed the stool in front of the stove again. my brother was cooking something.

he's so young, but he likes being independent, unlike myself. i don't get how he's like this. i'd rather enjoy my childhood.

"junkyu!!" i called out to him as i opened the lid and saw what he was cooking, "you're in big trouble mister..." i couldn't lie. whatever he was cooking smelt really good.

i don't expect this at all from an elementary schooler. he's almost a better cook than me.

he came to the kitchen and stood next to me, "are you mad?"

i sighed and lowered the heat before staring at him, "you just worry me sometimes. i'll be responsible if anything bad happens to you..." i walk to the living room which was really close by, "speaking of which, how'd you get inside?"

he grinned and followed me, some of his teeth were missing, but he was really cute, "flower pot."

i chuckled, we both did. our spare key was under one of the flower pots outside.

i sat down on our couch and laid my head back, looking up at the ceiling. i looked exhausted and he could tell.

i heard him sitting next to me, "are you okay, noona?" he asked worriedly.

i turned my head and gave him a reassuring smile, but my answer was different. "i don't think so."

might as well be honest. he's family.

he took one of the couch pillows and tossed it to me so that i could hug something, "what's wrong?" he asked.

i sighed and stared at the ceiling again, "i had a boyfriend." i confessed, waiting for his reaction.

"pfft, i knew that!" he rolled his eyes, making mine widen.

"you knew?!" i asked, a bit shocked.

he nodded quickly, "yup. i see him dropping you off home sometimes."

i groan before stuffing my face into the pillow that i was holding.

"ah, whatever. it's not like that'll happen anymore." i sigh, my mood dropping.

he gasped, which made me flinch as i was startled, "you guys broke up?! he looked good for you though." my brother pouted, looking down in disappointment.

i just giggled before squishing his cheek, "no... it's complicated. his friends told me that it wasn't real at all and that it was just a dare."

junkyu tilted his head, "did he tell you that though?"

i shook my head while smiling, "that's what i have yet to find out."

he sighed and scooted closer to me, hugging me as a form of comfort. i hugged him back. it was a long hug.

i didn't know how much i needed that from my little brother until now.

—next day

"crap, i'm late." i said. i woke up with a bit of grogginess. probably because i slept on my left side, which is my bad side because i always get sleep paralysis whenever i do.

i rolled my eyes when i thought about that...

anyway! i quickly got ready and fixed myself up before leaving my room.

i was met with the little one at the dining table. he was eating cereal whilst my mom was already dressed and about to leave for work.

"mom? are you gonna drop junkyu off at school?" i asked, noticing that he wasn't quite ready yet.

she shook her head, looking in the mirror at one of our halls as she fixed her top's buttons and her pants as well. "i need you to do me a favour hun. there's nothing important going on today at school right? could you drop him off, i have something really important that came up and i can't drive him there."

i turned and looked at the boy, he was eating quickly and kicking his feet lightly under the table.

i loved my brother, i did.

so why did i feel guilty about being hesitant?

if i were to say anything like that out loud, i would be called selfish.

before i could answer, which obviously would be anything but 'no', i heard the door slam shut which left me turning to my brother again.

he gave me those apologetic eyes, telling me that he's sorry for whatever reason. "i can walk to school by myself..." he said in almost a whisper.

i shook my head and quickly rushed to sit next to him, "no-no! it's okay. don't do that anymore."

i sighed and looked down at the table, "even if it may burden me sometimes, i'm always willing to do things for you... you're my brother after all, of course i'm responsible for you. right?"

he looked up at me and took his last spoonful of cereal, once he finished chewing, he slowly blinked and stared at me again, "noona, i wish mom cared for me more."

that sentence hit me like a truck. it hurt me when i heard those words come out of his mouth.

my dad wasn't in the picture when he was born, so he always felt a bit jealous at times. he would blame it on himself and try to make up for it even though it wasn't his fault at all.

"come here." i held my arms out and watched him as he pushed his chair back to stand up and walk to me. he hugged me gently. once he couldn't see my face anymore, i felt tears forming.

"she cares, jun. she's working hard for us, okay? and i care too, i care a lot so don't worry. i'll take care of you whenever you need me to." i reassured him, patting and rubbing his back.

once that was over, he rubbed both of his eyes and smiled, "me too! i care about you too, so if that tall boy hurts your feelings then i will be here to hug you." he said determinedly, holding a fist up as well.

all i could do was chuckle and ruffle his hair before rushing him to get ready so that i could quickly get to school as well.

"silly." i muttered as i shook my head.

"silly 👹"

filler chapt kinda?
i'm scared abt future chapts SO...

k bye