Wasteful

I feel surprised and even a little annoyed as Draino has me sit back down at the table to eat for a third time in the day. I eye him skeptically, then sigh as he places a plate of food down in front of me.

"I'm not hungry, I've already eaten a bunch today," I mumble, starting to get up from the table.

I sit back down as Draino gives me a serious look. He doesn't seem very happy. I frown but sit back down poking at my food with my fork. It looks tasty, but I've already had so much food today.

"Go on, no pet of mine will go hungry," Draino says in a serious and stern tone.

I groan and grab a decent amount onto the fork and bring it to my mouth. As I thought it tastes delicious but my chest feels heavy as I chew and swallow it. In a way, I really hate that it's so easy to get food now, to have shelter now and even be warm...

"I appreciate the help, but you really don't need to go to such a big effort just for me..." I mumble, seeing Drainos eyebrows scrunch up slightly as he starts eating his own food at the larger table.

He looks to me every now and then. So I take another bite each time so he will look away again. It feels really tense, and I try and be quick so I can get away from his gaze.

I set the fork down halfway through feeling my stomach be tight from overeating slightly. I don't want to be sick, nor do I think Draino would appreciate that either.

"You can go if you've had what you can," Draino says as he looks to me and my half eaten plate.

It wasn't very big to begin with, but I just can't make myself finish it. I know I shouldn't be wasting food, but I don't think I could store it anywhere. With that sauce, it would just go bad in about a day, though having food somewhere might not be a bad idea.

I notice I'm staring at the half eaten food as Draino clears his throat as though to get my attention. I look over to him, giving me a neutral look.

"Don't worry about what's left, just eat what you can of what I give you." Draino says calmly as though leftover food doesn't even matter, like it's not an extra expense having me eat so often.

Taking it as being excused, I get up from my table and head back to my room. My body is feeling tired. Having a full stomach, I flop down on the bed and then get back up seeing a matching button-up shirt and pants.

I guess these are pajamas... it's not really something I've bothered spending money on. It does feel nice and warm as I run my hands over it. A lovely floral pattern with daisies and Lilly flowers, a massive contrast to the current freezing weather.

I take my current outfit off and fold it neatly on a table in my room. I can wear that tomorrow which will be good.

It's strange sleeping so easily and waking up so warm and comfortable. It must be costing Draino a fortune to be keeping this place so warm. Getting up, I quickly pull on the clothes from yesterday and head downstairs.

Drainos there and gives me a smile as he sits eating his breakfast. He points to my own table, and I slowly walk over seeing a bowl of food for me to eat. It's about the same size as yesterday but I know I won't be able to finish it all again... so much wasted money.

It tastes nice, and I do manage to eat a bit more than I thought. I guess my stomach must be stretching or something from having this food. I still can't finish the amount given, though.

"Alright, go put your bowl up on the counter," Draino says, seeing me not eating my food anymore.

I get up and stretch my arms up slightly as I push the bowl up onto the counter. Driano comes over and gives it a quick rinse in the sink to clear out the excess food and to wash later.

I see him grab another bowl and put some fruits and crackers like yesterday. Some slices of cheese go on too, and I frown, seeing a few small slices of meat.

"You don't have to eat all of this, I have to go out to do some work tasks today, so I'll be back before dinner. I expect you to eat at least some of this Valor, " He says, heading over to the door after placing the bowl down on my table.

I nod, and he heads out the door as I sigh and poke at one of the fruits in the bowl. I would never get fruit this time of year. It would be far out of reach and not worth the money I'd have to spend on it.

I sigh and get up, wandering around the house. It's weird being here without Draino, like I don't belong here. I look over the walls as I walk and take in the various stuff around.

A paino I avoid touching, paintings I've already seen. Then I notice something with a screen, something I haven't had access to since I was in school.

By writing and numbers, it looks like a thermostat. It must be connected to the heating system since it says this place is 21 Celsius.

I've never even tried to get my home that warm. It would take so much wood I would burn through it in just a few days... I lean in closer and look over the controls to try and remember how the thing works.

I don't need it so hot, I can do just fine without the place being heated. And then I can save Draino some money and be less of a burden.

I press the negative symbol that's blue and see the number go down and the system shut off. I smile and head over to my bed, pulling my blankets close around myself. I can handle a bit of cold!

1055 words

Written 14 March 2023