Gathering supplies iii - the Bard

It's night, dark by the time we are ready to head out. Melda has long since gone to sleep, and I'm sure she has assumed we have too. Scarlet and I both have bags on our backs to carry a bigger load back with us.

But the Flita out there need us to help them. They need supplies, and we can get them. We just have to be careful that the Franus don't realise what we are up to.

"I was thinking that if that Franus guard is still there that I could draw his attention away by discussing the whole 'guardianship' thing," Heth brings up, and I look to him confused.

It seems risky, though, since he would be drawing attention to himself, and we shouldn't even be here. It might buy us enough time to get the supplies we are after.

"Wouldn't that be lying though since it's not something you want?" Scarlet brings up, and Heth shrugs.

We are getting close to the fence now with the guard station showing nearby. We will have to split off soon if that's going to be our plan.

"It's not really an issue if this will help people. What's happening to us Flita is horrible, and I need to do what I can to help save some people." He states and then gives us a quick wave as he splits off and heads towards the guard.

Scarlet and I look to each other, shrugging as we leave soon, reaching the part of the fence we can sneak through. There's no light here, luckily, so any other guards around aren't going to see us.

Her and I head through the fence quickly, and she points to the medical shed. Heth and I got the supplies from earlier. She points towards it, and myself then turns and heads to another food one.

I guess Heth must have discussed the layout with her.

"Hey, can I help?" A voice says, making me jump.

Turning, I notice it's a teenage boy, and I sigh with relief. At least it's not a guard catching me out here.

"This is no place for a child!" I snap, being careful to keep an eye out and to make sure my voice isn't too loud.

He follows behind me, and I groan, realising he's not going away. He should be with family, but I guess maybe he has none. I was about his age when I went out on my own...

"Fine, but don't get us caught," I retort, heading into a building filled with food.

So much food... and yet Flita are going hungry. Hearing a rattle, I see the kid pulling a bunch of cans towards himself and what looks to be a large backpack. He's getting quite a bit in.

I turn and grab a large box, one that should just barely fit through the gap in the fence. We could make it bigger, but then it might be repaired.

I wonder why it hasn't been yet?

Regardless, I grab a few tarps and shuffle them in the box. The boy has filled his bag now, and it looks heavy, but he swings it around and puts his arms through the straps.

"Time to go, kid!" I state, and he glares at me.

I snort and start heading through the shed towards the door anyway. He follows not far behind as we head to the gap in the fence.

"I'm not a kid... I'm 13" He mumbles, but I just ignore him.

Yeah, that was the age when I left home, but he's still a kid to me. I'm sure Melda and Heth will feel the same, too. I never had to resort to outright stealing, though... I could at least earn enough to support myself.

Scarlet has a large box too of medical supplies as we get to the fence. Heth is hanging out, leaning against a wall as we head through the fence one by one, pulling our stuff through.

We don't stop moving until we are back at Meldas' place. Once there, we quietly place our stuff out on the floor to see what we got.

Lots of medicine and canned foods. Enough that we can stock up Meldas supplies and go out and distribute food as well.

Though it's definitely an amount that the Franus will notice. This is a lot of stuff.

"So what's your name, kid? Unless you want us to keep referring to you as such," Scarlet chuckles, and the kid crosses his arms.

"My name is Felix, and I want to help you take down the Franus! We should overthrow the government and stop this oppression. " He yells out louder than I'd like, and I cringe at it.

The door to Meldas room opens, and she walks out, rubbing her eyes. She yawns, a scowl on her face as she looks between us then down at our supplies.

"Really, I don't you to lay low about taking supplies..." she says with concern, rubbing her forehead.

I know she doesn't want the attention of the Franus on her. I don't want them coming and seeing me, but I just want to help.

"Well, we can distribute some of it tomorrow, then the Franus won't find it here anyway." Heth states, and Melda nods.

"Yeah, and then we can start planning around how we are going to take over the government. Oh, I'm Felix, by the way!" Felix declares, and I staee at him.

She picks up some of the medical supplies reading over the labels. She got a slight smile as she places them back.

"Fine, but next time you go get supplies, I'm coming with you. And no, we are not going to try and take over the government,  thats a foolish idea" Melda continues, and everyone nods.

If she comes along, the medical supplies can be used before we have to bring it here.

"It's not foolish. It's brave, and we can't just let the Franus continue to oppress us like they are." Felix continues

"No!" Melda states firmly, staring at him.

Scarlet clears her throat, and we all look towards her. She's got a grin on her face as she speaks.

"While the Franus may be stronger and more powerful than us, we do have the advantage in numbers." Scarlet says oddly confident with a grin.

This isn't going to end well...

1066 words

Written 26/12/23

Published 31/12/23