Epilogue - rebuilding trust

I feel wary as Draino calls me over for dinner. It's been a while since I've had a big meal like what's he's put in front of me. Beans and vegetables with a tasty sauce.

I'm sitting at my smaller table with him at the main one as we eat in silence. There's so much tension between us after what has happened, and I don't really know what to say.

"I would like for you to have a bath tonight. I'm guessing you haven't had one since you ran away?" Draino states, and I place my utensils down on my plate.

I don't say a word... is he going to try and bathe me again?

I won't let him!

"Melissa... I know I didn't handle it very well last time, but as a pet, you are supposed to be clean." He must have noticed my hesitation as I stare at the table.

It's silent still, and he lets out a sigh as he gets up and takes his finished plate to the sink. I get up as well and hate that I'm leaving food on my plate as I can't finish it.

It feels like it's not me he's talking to anymore. Not Valor, not the girl who was strong and independent and able to make things work no matter how hard they can be. But like I've taken the body of a new person. I'm not Valor, not legally, even in the privacy of his home while we're alone. I'm this stranger named Melissa, who is just a pet. It hurts to lose who Valor was, and now I need to fit in Melissa's shoes or lose my life just for being alive as Valor.

It's sad and rather painful...

"I won't bathe you if you don't want it unless you're sick or injured. I promise." Draino continues walking towards the bathroom.

I decide to follow him as he goes inside, feeling incredibly nervous. I know full well he can just forcely bathe me if wants. He was able to last time.

Standing in the doorway, I wait for him to finish filling the tub. The memory of the forced bath lingering in my mind.

"Would you like me to wash your hair?" Draino asks as he turns the tap off and steps away from the tub.

I shake my head no and wait for him to leave the room. He doesn't, though, and I frown.

"I'm not going to touch you, Melissa. I just want to see if you have any injuries, and then I'll leave," Draino states softly and calmly.

I let out a breath, half expecting him to storm over and pull my clothes off me. When nothing happens, I slowly start to undress, to which he looks me over and then steps away.

"It's good to see you're not injured. Make sure to have a good wash, getting your skin and hair clean. There's no rush, so you can enjoy it. I'll put your pajamas just inside the door for you to grab." Draino says and then finally walks out the door, closing it behind him.

I let my body loosen up and actually head over to the tub. Pulling myself up and inside, I can't help but feel a bit on edge even with the feeling of nice warm water surrounding me.

I quickly do my hair and then give my skin a scrub. It's surprising how much grime can come off without really even noticing it's there.

Then I just lean back in the tub and try and relax. The warm water feels nice on my skin. Though, once I notice the door opening slightly, I can't help but cover myself. But it's just Drainos' hand reaching in to drop some pajamas on the floor.

I reach my hand down into the water and pull out the plug, watching as the water is sucked down the pipe. It's all gone in no time, and I pull myself up and out of the tub.

Getting down and standing on the floor, I grab a towel and dry myself off. The pajamas are a light purple made of a fluffy fabric. It feels nice and soft against my skin, like when I... Valor used to live here.

I take a deep breath as I open the door and walk down the hall. Draino is outside my door. So I stop for a moment, wondering what he's up to.

"Did you enjoy your bath, Melissa?" He asks, and I can see him looking through some kind of catalog for home items.

He moves it over for me to see. It's on a page with door handles, with different shapes and designs. Some are knob handles and other lever stylied. Some of them have a big wide keyhole and other a more narrow shape.

"Yes, it was nice. Are you going to change the door handle for my room?" I respond, taking the catalog from him and looking at it closer.

The main thing I notice is that both sides of the handle have a keyhole, unlike the current, which is only on the outside. Though that doesn't mean I'm going to have a key.

"Yes, you told me being locked in your room was stressful. I want you to talk to me if something is upsetting you again. I want you to pick out a door handle you like, and then I'll get an extra key so we both have one" Draino responds with a sad voice as though feeling regret over the things that have happened.

He's going to give me my own key? I guess he really does feel bad for how things went. It might be nice to be able to lock the door. That way, I can have some privacy or time alone if I want.

"Really? I get to pick... I like this one." I respond pointing to a metallic lever style handle with a large wide keyhole.

Draino puts the cagelog in his pocket, and I head into my room. It's weird to think he's being so nice to me now, even changing out the lock and not being as forceful about things.

I yawn as I head over to my bed. It's nice that Draino seems to have really listened to what I told him at the distribution center. It's still early days, but maybe it might be okay to try and trust him?

"Good night, Melissa." Draino calls into my room before closing the door most of the way, as I snuggle in under the covers.

My eyes move to a partially transparent box that looks like it has games and puzzles in. I'll have to look inside in the morning. Maybe there's something fun or interesting in there to keep me busy.

I wonder if Draino would let me visit Milly at some point. I'll have to ask him once the weather warms up more. It would be good to see her and talk about what's happened. So much has happened after all...

That's the last thing I think before I fall asleep. That I'm going to have to figure out who Melissa even is, now that I'm her. I wonder what she's like, what I'm like now. It's such a strange concept, but I just need to make it work.

What will Milly think of Melissa?

1235 words

Written 16 January 2024

Published 16 January 2024