Chapter 39

The bus passes through the tunnel, traveling through countless moments of light and darkness, as if it has no end.

Yao Yanyan couldn't fall asleep, her expressionless face gazing out the window. The dim and gloomy sky illuminated her cold, piercing amber eyes.

Resting her head on Cheng Xuan's shoulder, she softly said, "I have a headache."

"Motion sickness?" Cheng Xuan's voice sounded from above.

Yao Yanyan slightly pursed her lips, her eyes fixed on the tightly held hands of the two, momentarily stagnant.

Cheng Xuan lowered her gaze and noticed that she didn't blink her eyes, feeling worried in her heart.

She always felt that something might have happened to Yao Yanyan's family.

Is someone in her family sick?

Cheng Xuan speculated, and her five fingers tightened as she firmly held Yao Yanyan's hand.

As the bus traveled through the dark tunnel, Cheng Xuan couldn't see her expression clearly, but she could see her bright eyes from the top.

"Sister," Cheng Xuan's voice was very low.

"Yeah?" Yao Yanyan didn't lift her eyes. Both of their voices were soft, leaning close to each other as if whispering secrets.

"Don't be afraid, I'm here," Cheng Xuan comforted Yao Yanyan in the same way she had comforted her before.

As the words fell, she realized what she had said and the darkness in her eyes inexplicably carried a hint of warmth.

Speaking of it, the first person who ever comforted her in her life was Yao Yanyan.

So, other than the words Yao Yanyan usually used to comfort her, she couldn't learn anything else.

In the darkness, she couldn't see the slight trembling of Yao Yanyan's eyelashes.

"Okay."

The two leaned closely together, neither feeling hot.

The tunnel seemed endlessly long, and Yao Yanyan suddenly asked, "Cheng Xuan."

"Yeah?" Cheng Xuan slightly turned her face, looking at her. "What's wrong?"

"If," Yao Yanyan pursed her lips, "I mean if."

"Yeah."

"If, like that bad writer in the book, I also deceived you, what would you do?"

After asking, Yao Yanyan's heart was hanging high, feeling restless.

The air froze for a moment, and she finally heard Cheng Xuan speak.

Her voice was very calm, "To tell you the truth, I've thought about this question before."

Yao Yanyan's heart pounded, raising her head in astonishment.

But she saw Cheng Xuan's expression calm, her eyes filled with tranquility.

At this moment, the girl's eccentricity and hostility gradually faded away, replaced by a mature demeanor beyond her age. Cheng Xuan's gaze was focused as she lifted her other hand to carefully tuck Yao Yanyan's messy hair behind her ear.

"In the past," she said, "I would have hated you because I don't like being deceived."

"And now?"

"Now, I don't think I would."

"...Why not?" Yao Yanyan couldn't help but ask, following her words.

Cheng Xuan looked at her, her eyes like a black lake, unfathomable.