1

Broken glass. The dining table knocked over. My hands meet the floor as I push myself up to a seated position. My eyes scanned the room. The house was dark except for the single kitchen light that was left on. It happened again.

It was beginning to be every night now. My father would come home frustrated. The smell of beer penetrating my nose as he'd walk by. Don't speak, don't move, don't even look at him.

It wasn't until last year that my mother lost custody of me and brother. I wish I could runaway with him, somewhere safe, but being only 18 and still in high school, that wasn't really an option. With my father being the well known, friendly-neighborhood police officer, the odds of being granted emancipation was nearly impossible.

It hasn't been easy, but we know how to survive. Day by day.

I groaned as I stood up and dusted off my shorts, finally noticing the cuts and bruises beginning to form on my legs. Great. Pants in the summer it is.

I dropped my head to my watch on my wrist. 3am. Shit. I quickly but quietly made my way down the hall to my brother's room. I carefully turned the door handle and cracked open the door. My eyes found my brother, sleeping peacefully on his mattress on the floor. It was heartwarming to see him at rest. He deserved better then the conditions we had to live in. One day, I was going to get him out of here.

I carefully closed the door, being sure not to wake the sleeping boy, and made my way to my own room.

Nothing about our rooms was welcoming. The rest of the house had beautifully painted walls, white carpets, and furniture that was far to fancy for us to be allowed to sit in. While our rooms both had the same unfinished look. Blank walls, with nothing but a mattress on the floor and a small dresser for our clothes. It was cold and far too quiet.

I pulled out my phone and set my alarm for 6 am. Hopefully, that would be enough time to get myself and brother ready for school starting tomorrow.

I climbed into bed and set my phone on the pillow beside me. A deep sigh left my lips as I let my eyes close. It usually takes quite a long time for me to fall asleep, so I just lay there, trying to imagine myself a better world. Before too long, I finally feel myself drifting off, forgetting the events of the night.

--------------------------------------

The alarm goes off all too soon. I groan as my hand pats the pillow beside me, searching for my blaring phone. My hand reaches it and finally shuts off the alarm. It was going to be hard adjusting to the early mornings again, but before I knew it, I was locking the front door and making my way to the bus stop. Jared didn't start school until an hour after mine, lucky bastard.

The bus smelled like hot mildew. Haven't these kids ever heard of a shower? Or maybe a good stick of deodorant at the least?

After making several other stops, the bus finally reaches its final destination at the school. I pull out my phone and notice a text.

Gray: where u at?

Me: bus stop. I'll meet u at the flagpole.

Gray had been my friend for a few years now. Although we came from two very different sides of the school, him being your ADHD swim captain and me being the quiet band kid, we both brought unique qualities to the friendship. The kid wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed at times, but god he could make life a lot funnier.

I make my way to the flag pole where I spot Gray. He quickly waves me over with a stupid grin on his face.

"Y/n, look at this shit! Look!" Gray laughed.

My eyes follow his to the phone in his hand.

"Who the hell is Stacy Myers?" I asked.

"Bro where have you been? The Upper Heights club? Blonde hair, nice ass?" I nodded, slowly, remembering his brief summer fling. "Yeah, she finally added me back on Snap. She sent pics too! Check it" I quickly pushed his phone away and rolled my eyes. "I don't wanna see that shit." Gray had a couple qualities that weren't all to my liking, but he was overall a good guy. When we had first met, he soon found out I was gay, but instead of making it weird, he said it was cool and that I was 'just like one of the guys.' Although, not entirely. Not a fan of the objectifying women part.