7

My eyes opened to the feeling of the couch dip beside me. I watched as Ms. Debnam-Carey searched through a red bag, pulling out different bottles and packages of gauze, setting them on the coffee table. She looked focused, biting her lip as she read the labels of the supplies.

I shifted in my seat, causing her to look up to me.

"Hey," she spoke sweetly as she reached up a hand to gently stroke my cheek. I slowly lifted my head from the back of the couch, trying to sit up. I winced, pain shooting through my stomach and side, every movement felt as if I was getting kicked again.

She reached up her arms to my shoulders, adjusting me to lay on my side.

"Y/n, baby. I'm gonna need you to show me where it hurts so I can help, okay?" she asked, nodding her head. I dropped my eyes to the floor.

"You shouldn't be helping me. Seriously, you should stay out of this for your own good-"

"No," She closed her eyes and lifted up a hand. I briefly lifted my eyes, then let them fall again. "I want to help, but if you don't let me, I'll have to call someone. And I know you don't want me to do that so please, just let me help." She spoke softly, trying to reason with me.

I shook my head, "I should go," I breathed out as I stood, using the arm of the couch as support but grasping my stomach as the pain soared through me. She stood up with me, hands back on top of my shoulders.

"Y/n, stop," she spoke sternly this time. I finally made eye contact with her, chills running up my spine. Her eyes softened, looking back and forth between mine with her lips parted. "Let me help," she whispered. My heart told me to stay, to hold onto this comfort and warmth that she gave me, while my brain was screaming at me to run. We stared into each other's eyes for a moment, hers pleading at me. She's safe.

"okay.." I barely whispered, not leaving her eyes. She nodded at me slowly, sliding her hands down my upper arms.

She helped me sit back on the couch, I clenched my jaw at the movement, but didn't make a sound. I bent over and rested my elbow on my knee, using the other to clench my side, but she reached out her hand to grab it, slowly pulling it off. "Let me see..."

I leaned back, allowing her pull my arm off, then let out a shaky sigh. She reached out, letting her fingers slip under the hem of my shirt, before gently lifting it. I tensed at the contact, closing my eyes as I took a deep breath in. I listened to her sharply inhale, causing me to open my eyes. Her lips were parted in shock, as her widened eyes began to fill with tears. I lifted my hands and wrapped my fingers around her wrists, "it's okay," I whispered shaking my head. She lifted her eyes at my touch, glancing between both of mine.

"You don't deserve to be treated like this, Y/n.. Nobody does," she breathed out in a whisper.

I looked to the ground, "maybe I did..." I slipped out, instantly regretting it as I turned my head away. But I soon felt a soft hand on my cheek, turning me to face her again. I noticed a single tear stream down her cheek and my heart began to ache.

"No, baby no. Nobody does... especially not you," she whispered, catching my eyes at her last statement. Silence came over the two of us as we sat there, it was comfortable and safe. Her words wrapping me up like a warm blanket. I couldn't understand why this woman cared for me. Why won't she just look passed me like everyone else?

Ms. Debnam-Carey finally broke the eye contact, briefly looking down with a sad smile. She nodded to herself before looking back up.

"Okay, arms up," she whispered and I hesitantly raised them, squeezing my eyes shut. I felt her fingers move back under the hem of my shirt and slowly lifted it up and over my head, leaving me in my sports bra. I couldn't help the heat flushing to my face out of embarrassment. I wasn't used to the vulnerability, I felt exposed, but something about her made me like the feeling.