halloween morning

I wake up to no one in my bed. I stretch out tightening my back muscles. Let out a small groan then sit up, I was already feeling the attacks come back.

"It's Halloween." I whisper to myself before throwing the blankets off me.

I go over to my mirror taking a look. The bruises felt as a pulse, they were aching but durable. I blow air out. What could be on my agenda today?
Before I decided to get ready I head downstairs to thank Carter.
Down the stairs a flash of scenery blinded me. It was so sudden and felt so real, stopped me right where I was. The flash was like an image of the stairways ahead of me, they were dark and I seen a darker figure of a man. It halted me.

What was that?

It was the same as every year. It's starting to drive me nuts. Great thing I learn to ignore it. I proceed my way to the kitchen and see Carter had pancakes in the making.

"That smells great C." I walk over standing next to him.

"Thanks Audrey, how'd you sleep?" He dives right in about last night.

"It got better, sorry I made you stay." I turn around grabbing some plates and cups from the top cabinet.

"No no you know I don't mind." Carter responds. I knew he is intentionally getting into this conversation again.

"I know it's just..I'm afraid you're taking it the wrong way." I cringe letting myself dive into it as well.

"Wrong way? What way would I be taking this now?" It was almost a mock, I got a little irritated.

"C I'm serious, I think it's wrong of me to do these things without any real reason behind it." I worded it as best as I could.

"Whoa whoa hey where is this coming from?" Carter stops and turns away from the stove. Showing me that he was serious too.

"Carter I'm not going to act naive anymore. The first few years I knew you, you were great professional help. Yes it got personal because.." I paused. It was about to get really hard to say this.

"Because?" Carter stepped forward I knew he's probably been waiting for this moment. Sadly it wasn't going to be what he wants.

"A part of me needs you. I feel..safer of sort. But I won't deny that I know you want more then that." Now I was wondering why this sudden confession came out today.

"Audrey..where is this coming from?" Carter rubbed his hands up the sides of my arms. I let my head drop.

"I guess I'm just tired of it always being ignored. Seems a little silly-."

Out of that moment I felt Carter's lips smush against mine. Our foreheads collided slightly flinching me until my eyes shot wide open. I pushed him off out of reaction.

"Carter what!" The pulse on either side of my head aches again.

"I-I'm sorry." Carter looked shocked with himself. I didn't say anything but tried to process that, that just really happened.

"It's just Audrey I thought maybe if I waited you'd come to me when you wanted but..you never did." He turns away holding his forehead, becoming bashful.

"Carter I just don't know how I feel okay. Doesn't mean that I don't need you around, that is what I'll say." My fingers felt around my lips, I wondered why it felt a little wrong to have kissed him.

"I can understand more then you think, way more then you think." He almost whispers against into his hand.

"How so?" I caught that instantly. Carter grimaced as if to regret saying that.