32 - Playing With Fire

Andrew's POV.

"Oh, my god, what happened to him?" Jesse's friend asked when she got in Matt's room and saw him passed out on the bed.

"I'm not sure..." I didn't give a clear answer because I was still a little bit dumbfounded from what I experienced just a few minutes ago. "I found him like this and then I called you from his phone since you were the last person he called."

"Um... thanks for calling." She replied and I could tell she was feeling a little guilty seeing her friend in this condition. "I'll take care of him. You can leave now."

I wanted to protest but I knew that would seem strange since I didn't even know Jesse that well. Though I really thought it would be great to get to know him I realized now was not the best time to do that so I left.

I was so shocked from everything that I don't even remember how I got home. I was sitting in front of a turned off TV and thinking about what I was going to do.

I knew if I approached Jesse again in the future it would be very risky. People in this town aren't exactly what you'd call open minded so I had to be extremely careful.

I had two more days to think till Monday. I couldn't avoid seeing him at school so I had to come up with an idea of what I wanted to do till then.

Those two days passed rather quickly. It was weird, really, because I felt like the time was stretching out so slowly but in a blink of an eye I was at school waiting patiently to see his face again.

A few moments later I finally saw Jesse near his locker. He was talking to his friend who was gesturing something with her hands. I soon realized that she was mute and they were using sign language to communicate. I didn't want to interrupt their conversation so I waited till she'd leave. That didn't take long at all and she left after a few seconds.

I took a deep breath and closed the distance between us. He turned around and bumped into my chest. That made him startle and back away. I wasn't sure what to say but I knew it was now or never. So I started talking to him about the party but it looked like he didn't even remember a thing.

I'm not going to lie, I was pretty disappointed with his answer but I didn't lose hope. Maybe he didn't remember it but that's okay, we can create new memories, the ones that none of us would ever forget.

Before I was able to add anything else his friend, the girl I called at the party, came by. Jesse was pretty frustrated at first when he saw her, I guess he was angry at her or something but they soon made up. However, their conversation changed everything for me.

I wasn't sure at first but after she mentioned that she left her bra at his house I was pretty convinced that they were a couple.

I felt so stupid and betrayed. I made up some silly reason about English homework and left him. I got so angry that rational part of my brain literally got shut down and I made the biggest mistake of my life.

I saw the blonde girl from the party, her name's Violet if I recall correctly. She was talking to someone but I interrupted them and grabbed her hand to take her with me. After that I made an even bigger mistake, I kissed her. I don't know why but at that moment I thought that this would be a great way to get back at Jesse. He was so heartless, how could he do this to me?

I wanted to forget all about him but of course this wasn't the right way to do it and after a few months of dating Violet I finally realized how big of a fool I was. Every time I was with her I wanted to be with Jesse but I knew I couldn't because he was normal, unlike me.

I already messed up my life but I couldn't ruin his too. It doesn't matter even if he never looks in my direction again as long as he's happy. I'll be fine, I'll ignore my feelings, if that's what it'll take for him to be happy I'm more than willing to do that.