54 - Trust and Forgiveness

Why?

Why did this happen to me?

That was the only question on my mind when the nurse was treating my wound. I kind of zoned out and didn't even notice how she already finished what she was doing and left the room after telling me something that I immediately forgot.

I decided not to get emotional no matter what. But surprisingly the only emotions I was feeling in that moment were confusion and sorrow.

I wasn't sad because Connor tried to stab me. I was sad that I didn't notice how broken he was before he made this horrible mistake that would probably cost him to change his entire life and haunt him till the rest of his existence. He would most likely get expelled and that was something I didn't want to happen.

I was too busy thinking about my own problems that I didn't even bother to look around me to see if someone needed my help. Well it appeared that Connor desperately needed somebody to show him the right path and I was determined to become that person.

Even though it wasn't really my fault that he was in this condition I still felt partly responsible about what happened.

What if I had been a little bit more sensitive? What if I had chosen my words even more carefully? What if I hadn't ignored him?

Maybe then he wouldn't have a nervous breakdown in front of the whole school.

"Is your hand alright?" Tiffany's concerned tone snapped me out of my thought process.

"Yeah, I'm fine..." I replied and tried to smile to make it seem like I was doing just fine but only then I realized that I desperately needed to use the bathroom or I would pee my pants. "But I need to go to the bathroom!"

"Oh, I'll come with you." She quickly responded but I rose my eyebrow suspiciously and she realized why I was feeling so uneasy. "I'll wait near the door, of course!"

"You really don't have to babysit me like this. I'll be fine. You can go to your class. I don't want you to ruin your grades because of me." I tried to convince her that I really didn't need her help.

"No way!" Tiffany shook her head to deny my suggestion. "I left you for one second and you almost lost your life because of that. I am not leaving your side before your grandma gets here!"

"Ugh..." I sighed but didn't protest because I didn't have the energy to argue in that moment. "Are you using me to miss the class?"

"What? No of course not. I'm just worried about my friend!" She quickly denied my accusation but I wasn't completely sure if she was telling the truth.

"Okay... whatever you say." I cracked a weak smile and opened the door of the nurse's office to leave.

Once I finally got to the bathroom I felt like my kidney was going to explode so I pulled down my pants as quickly as I could. But for some reason I couldn't pee. I didn't know what was holding me back but something was definitely preventing me from emptying my bladder.

This always used to happen to me whenever I was nervous or there was someone else in the bathroom but none of those things were happening right now.

Thankfully I was finally able to urinate after staring at a cracked spot on the wall for what felt like an eternity. Once I finally washed my hands and went back Tiffany was still waiting for me near the door.

"Took you long enough!" She made a comment after I closed the bathroom door.

"You know me, I don't like rushing things!" I tried to remain somewhat cheerful. While we were walking back towards the nurse's office I heard someone walking towards one of the empty rooms. At first I didn't pay much attention to that but then I saw Mason entering the same room with that person and I realized something fishy was definitely going on around here. "Did you just see that?"