55 - Shadow From The Past

"No, grandma! Why would you say that?" I complained once my grandmother informed me the news.

"Because there's no way in hell I will let you go back there!" She responded as calmly as she could but I could still feel the slight hint of frustration in her tone.

"It was hard enough to transfer schools in the middle of the semester once. I can't go through that again." I tried to persuade her but I wasn't sure if she was ready to listen to my explanations.

"Well... we can't always get what we want. I guess this time you will have to make a sacrifice." Grandmother's concerned look in her eyes was telling me that she had my best interest at heart.

"Do you have any idea how hard it is to make new friends? I finally feel like I'm included and there are people who care about me. I've already had to say goodbye to my closest friends when I left my hometown. Please don't make me go through the same thing again." I didn't want to sound rude or anything. I really appreciated that grandma was concerned about me but I really didn't want to change schools. "Besides, the boy who attacked me isn't even going to be here anymore. Tiffany told me that he and his parents are moving away from town. I really don't know why you're forcing me to transfer to somewhere else."

"You almost died today! I can't lose you too..." Grandmother tried to avoid the eye contact because she didn't want me to see how sad she was. I knew she already had suffered a lot ever since my grandpa passed away and I understood why she was being so cautious but I really thought she was overreacting. "I'm sorry, honey. But I already ignored you once when I let your parents take you away from me. I should have been more attentive and realized that they wouldn't have a good influence on you. If only I haven't been so passive maybe then you wouldn't have to suffer as much as you have. I will not make the same mistake again."

"But this is a completely different situation. I've grown since then. You don't have to worry about me." I sympathetically put my hand on her shoulder and smiled. "You can't protect me from the world. While I do appreciate your concern it isn't your job to go through life for me. I am an adult now and I should be able to make decisions for myself..."

"I just don't want anything bad happen to you." Grandma returned an affectionate smile and wrapped her arms around me. "I have to go back to work now. We'll discuss this when I come back, okay?"

"Okay..." I replied quietly, feeling her warmth before she disconnected our bodies.

Once my grandmother finally grabbed her purse and opened the door to go outside I was left alone in the house with our dog Roxie who was staring at me with a playful look in her eyes.

I went to the kitchen to feed her and started looking at my phone, waiting for Tiffany to call. I told her to pick me up after school but she was being quite late and I was getting a little annoyed. I didn't call her just in case she was driving or something. I didn't want to distract her or make her think like I was in a rush.

Actually I was really nervous about this whole thing. I mean I was about to go to Connor's house and he tried to stab me in the morning so needless to say I wasn't exactly excited for what was going to happen next. But I knew I had to do this. Not for me, but for him.

This was probably the dumbest idea I've ever had. Why was I even bothering to go see him in the first place?

But every time I thought of him I remembered how he tried to save me from Mason. Well to be fair if he hadn't lured me in that trap in the first place I wouldn't even need his help but still... I was sure that he had a good heart. He was simply misguided and blinded by jealousy.

One hour passed like that. There was still no sign of Tiffany anywhere. I patiently waited for her but then I figured she might have forgotten about my request so I texted her but there was no answer from her.