CHAPTER XVIII: Reality

We finally arrived back home, under the protection of the ice dome that enveloped my island.

Most of the villagers were unloading the loot from the boat we brought back with us. I couldn't have cared less about that now, however.

My mother is alive? My mother is alive. My mother is alive!

My brain kept reiterating this phrase in my head; over and over again, until I fully comprehended the meaning of it.

It slowly dawned on me that I was no longer the Orphan Girl. I wasn't motherless anymore!

I was elated, because my mother had finally returned home. I was bewildered, at the fact that my mom survived this long.

Nine painful years. I grimaced.

My heart was also heavy, because I did not do either of the things I set out to do. I didn't kill Krom, and I didn't kill Viggo, and Threk was dead.

I need to get my mind off things and make myself useful. I told myself.

I decided to march up to the Med Station, to see if I could be of any use concerning my mother's recovery.

Vikka was the head healer of the village, so i would speak with her first.

"Hello, Vikka. How is my mother?"

"Recovering." She stated.

"Is there anything I can do to help speed her recovery?"

"Well, actually, yes. There are a few berries and herbs I need. I will use them as a painkiller, and it will help your mother's wounds heal faster. I cannot leave, because I must make sure your mother stays stable, but you could go if you really want to help."

"Yes, of course." I agreed.

"What do you need?"

"Here is a list of all the ingredients I need to make the concoction; some of which may be found in the Northern Markets, others may be found here in the village." She told me, handing me a small piece of parchment.

"I'll get them as fast as I can." I said, walking out of the cave, which served as the healing base.

There was even a landing platform, in case the patient was brought in a stretcher by dragons, like my mother was.

I hurried down the grassy path to my cave.

The Med Base was a cave above mine; on the 'second story', if you will.

I burst through the cave entrance, which must have awoke Amber, because she looked at me with a tired, slightly annoyed, gaze.

"We're going on a little trip to the northern markets." I informed Amber, whilst rummaging through my belongings looking for food supplies, and money to pay for the supplies I would gather.

Perhaps I'll buy a few essentials for myself too. I haven't been to the Northern Markets in a few years. I mused.

I got what I needed, shoved everything into a sack, except for the gold, which I stuck in a leather pouch that I slipped into my boot.

In the Northern Markets, there are a plethora of pickpockets, and undesirables.

To be honest though, I rather enjoyed the company of this type of people. They, like me, have done what they thought was necessary to survive. Just as I had these past nine years. I knew a few of them by name, but none of them were real names. Even I didn't use my real name. I normally went by 'ghost rider' the name my classmates gave me the day I discovered my talent. Some of the more friendly drunks and outlaws that hung around the markets called me Rider.

I stopped my packing for a moment to glance at the list Vikka had given me.

Comfrey leaves
Lagundi leaves
Yerba Buena
Prunella Vulgaris blossoms
Kandil çiçegi
Chimera berries

Chimera berries. I resounded.
Memories flooded into my mind about the day that Threk has experienced their effects. The memories seemed to wash my mind of anything else. The only thing that echoed in my now empty brain was Threk.

I don't think the reality of Threk's death has really sunk in until this moment.

This moment that had no adrenaline, no battles, and no need for my mind to be elsewhere.

If the reality hadn't hit me yet, it sure hit me now.

It felt like a Rumblehorn crashed into me at full speed. I was hit with a tidal wave of emotions. So many at the same time.

I wasn't prepared for the collision, and it knocked me to the ground.

I fell on my knees, and began to cry.

Not the kind of cry where a single tear leaks from your eyes, and you wipe it in your sleeve and move on.

This kind of cry was the kind that shakes your body, and rattles your soul.

Tears streamed out of my now puffy eyes, dampening the stone floor beneath me.

My sobs shook my body like a catastrophic quaken shakes the ground.

I realized now that I was broken. I was no longer the girl that played with Threk. I was no longer the sweet dragon trainer that I used to be. I left that girl behind a long time ago. I had to become what I am today to survive.

I wonder what the old me would think if she met the Tigly I am now. Would she be afraid of me? I mused. You've done so many terrible things since the day your mother left for battle nine years ago. You wiped out a whole island for Oden's sake! You are a villain. One side of my mind told me. But you also rescued your mother and so many dragons, from captivity today; and you prevented all of those hunters from enslaving countless more. You are a hero. The other side of my mind reasoned.

I decided to drop the topic all together with a frustrated sob.

Your mother, she needs you. Wether your a villain or a hero. She needs her daughter, and she needs those herbs. I wasn't sure which side of my brain talked to me this time, but I didn't care. It was right; I needed to get going.

I whipped my eyes, and did my best to make myself look at least somewhat presentable.

I finished getting what I needed for the journey, mounted Amber, and lifted off.

I aimed for the hole at the top of the ice sphere that protects my island, and soured out into the open.

"This is the life!" I gleefully declared to Amber.

The fresh air against my face, and the sunlight on my skin.

When I'm in the air, all my problems just seem to disappear into nothing more than a shadow of a distant memory.

It was so beautiful on that fateful day.

The sun was rising on the horizon, giving all of the puffy clouds a pink tint.

I dodged some of the fluffy clouds, and dove straight through others. It was like a game. Occasionally I would even do flips over them. Next I would see how close to the water I could get before hitting it. I loved this game. It was the game of forgetting the past, the present, and the future.

And little did I know what future the gods had in mind for me.
________________________________

Hey guys! Hope you liked this chapter! Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I couldn't use my phone for a week. But I'm back with Tigly's story about her interesting life, and discoveries about herself, and the complicated world around her. Thanks for all of the support! If you liked this chapter, do me a HUGE favor, and VOTE! I really need the support, but if not then that's ok, I'm just glad you guys are reading my stuff at all. Lots of love! Ttyl!!