CHAPTER XX: Slip

(A/N: This chapter has some violence in it, so beware.)

   I continued to wander through the venders of the Northern Markets. I had some extra change on me, so I figured I might as well use it here, since I rarely come to the markets.

I bought some sausages, and a lot of bread. Although my mom made her own bread, I would much rather eat the bread from the markets.

While my mother was an excellent parent, she was a ghastly cook.

I decided to buy a few loaves of barley bread at this vender that an elderly women owned. She was nice, always gave me good deals, and she always had the latest news.

And me, not getting out very much, enjoyed hearing what was going on in the world around me.

"Hey Marlene, what's cookin?" I queried for the latest gossip.

"There's been rumors about a boy. A boy who tamed a Night Fury." She divulges. "You work with dragons don't you? Do you think it's possible?"

I thought about that for a moment. I know some dragons can't be tamable, but we've never had a Night Fury before. I wonder if it is possible after all.

"I don't know. I've never dealt with a Night Fury before. Their really intelligent, so they probably won't take any shit, but if you do it right, then yes; I think it's possible."

"Hmm." Marlene thought to herself .

"What's the boy's name? Do you know anything else about him?"

"His name's Hiccup Haddock. Rumor has it he lives on the island of Berk. There are also stories about him defeating the Red Death. People say he lost a leg in the process."

"That's interesting." I mumble, mauling over my new-found info.

"Anyway, I actually came here to big six of your barley loaves." I state.

"Ah, right. Do you want me to put them in parchment for ya?"

"Yes, please. It's a long journey ahead."

I payed her the amount due, and packed the bag of barley loaves into the bag with the rest of my purchases and belongings. Since I had already purchased everything I had set out to, I decided it was time to make the journey home.

I rendezvoused with Amber at the outskirts of town, and we leap into the oncoming night.
________________________________

   I shuffle in my saddle, uncomfortable from the hour and a half journey I have already completed.

Just another hour and a half. Half way done, and then I can get some sleep. And no, the time I dozed off during the flight to the markets does not count.

My eyes start to involuntarily droop downwards, as I start to slump in my saddle.

But a rush of wind, more than there already was, and a whizz sound jolted me out of my nigh unconscious state, as I sat bolt upright in my saddle.

I know that sound... I pondered.

Whizzz

Another one! This one flew centimeters from my face, and it was at that moment that I realized why I was so familiar with this sound.

"Arrows!" I screeched at Amber, above the whistling wind.

There were about twenty arrows now, all streaking towards me at a dangerous pace.

"Clouds!" I commanded.

We cut through the frigid air, and took cover in our fluffy sanctuary; not only have they lost sight of us, but we are out of range of most of their arrows.