31

Mom came down the stairs with her backpack. "Okay so money for food is on the fridge, i will have my phone with me, and i'm just downtown at auntie T's if something happens." I nodded. "What time is everyone coming over?"

"In a little bit."

She nodded. "Be good and I bought you guys some beer." I chuckled. She came over and kissed my cheek. "I love you, baby."

"I love you too. See you next year."

She rolled her eyes. She walked over to the front door. She opened it and jumped when she saw Edward about to knock on the door. He had on a tux and was holding a dress box. "Hey babe, what are you doing here? I thought you had your hospital function?"

"I do," he said, leaning forward and kissing her. "And I wanted to invite you."

"I thought it was doctors and spouses only thing?"

"That's what I thought too but one of my colleagues told me that i could bring a date and i want to bring you." she didn't say anything. He set the box down and wrapped his arms around her waist. "That is if you wanted to come with me?"

"Edward, I wish you would've asked me earlier. I don't have a dress for this sort of thing, I'd just embarrass you."

"You could never embarrass me baby and anyways I bought you a dress." I smiled widely as mom's eyes widened.

"What?"

he smiled. "My sister works at a fancy dress store and she got me a dress for you."

"i couldn't-"

"you don't have to but i'd really like you to be my date."

"Let me see the dress." Edward smiled. He grabbed the box and gave it to her. She opened it and looked at the dress. "I guess i can at least try it on."

"What she means to say is that she'd love to go with you and that she will go get ready right now." Eward smiled and nodded. I grabbed her hand and ran us up stairs. I pushed her into her room. "Put the dress on."

"You are so weird."

She went into her bathroom. She came back out wearing a long pink satin dress with a slit up her left thigh. I smiled. "It looks so good on you."

She smoothed out the dress. "I've never worn a fancy dress like this. I didn't have a prom or anything like that."

"Well you look absolutely beautiful. Can i help you with your hair and makeup?" she nodded. I sat her down on her bed. I walked into her bathroom grabbing her makeup bag, hair brush, and curler. I kneeled behind her on the bed. I brushed out her hair. She sat there picking her nails. "What is it?"

"He's a well renowned surgeon, a rich one at that. I'm a single mom who had two children when I was fifteen out of wedlock. I went to night community college to get my degree and-"

"Mama, he doesn't care about that stuff and you know that."

"But his colleagues probably do. I don't want to embarrass him."

Her bedroom door opened. "Baby," Edward said, walking in the room. He kneeled down in front of her. "First, i just want to say that my sister has damn good taste in dresses cause you look beautiful." I smiled. He ran his hand along her cheek. "And second, I want you there because i want to spend the holiday with my girlfriend who i love. If i didn't have to go to this, i'd be asking you to spend the night with me and order chinese food." he leaned up and kissed her forehead. "So please stop saying that you'll embarrass me and make yourself look even more beautiful so i can show you off."