Chapter 2: A Tutoring Job?

[New version]

Caleb

"Hey, mom, I'm home!" I shout the moment I enter my house. It was something I liked to do every day when I returned home from school, even on the days I knew my mom wasn't home.

"Shh," my mom whispers as I make my way through the door hallway.

Oops. I didn't realize she was on the phone.

"Sorry," I whisper back an apology.

She offers a smile as a greeting before mouthing 'shoes'.

I glance at my sneakers. Oh, right. No shoes when in the house. I'm usually good at remembering things, but for some reason I always forget this one rule.

I slide my sneakers off with a push of each heel before leaving them by the door along with my school bag. Then, trying not make any noise, I tip toe over to the kitchen.

I was a little hungry. Not for a whole meal, but for something small and satisfying. And what better option is there than Cocoa Puffs?

I quickly grab a bowl and spoon from one of the drawers before heading to the fridge. The shelves were cluttered, nothing unusual, but even with looking behind and between each area, I couldn't find the milk. I guess we ran out.

Well, seems like I'll just do without it.

Closing the fridge, I make myself comfortable on the kitchen stool, and watch as my mom paces back and forth the living room from one end to the next. Whoever she was talking to or whatever she was talking about must be really serious because her speed was increasing by the second.

I mix my milk-less cereal for the sake of it and listen in on the conversation out of curiosity.

"I'm sure Caleb won't mind."

I pause the movement of my spoon at the mention of my name. I wouldn't mind?

"Of course. You're welcome. Alright, bye." She ends the call and looks up at me.

"You mentioned me?" I question as I slowly eat my cereal.

"Yes, yes. That was my good friend Mrs. Howard. She wanted me to ask you if you would like a tutoring job."

A tutoring job?

"Her daughter is having trouble with school and could use some help. I suggested you might be interested, do you think you would be?"

"Um," I hum, letting myself think a little more about it. I didn't have much to do after school schedule wise and she's right, I wouldn't mind tutoring a little girl. Plus, it's easy cash to make.

"So?"

"Sure, I'll do it." It's not like I had anything to lose.

"Excellent! Mrs. Howard will be very pleased."

I smile. I was glad I could help.

"I'll let her know right now." In an instant, she was back on the phone with Mrs. Howard.

My mom was always very persistent and liked to get things done right away. I'd like to say I'm the same way but that would be lying to myself. I have this bad habit of delaying things. It's not such a problem because they're nothing major and I do get them done, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Finishing up the last bit of my cereal, I put the bowl into the sink and leave the kitchen. I decided I'll try to break my habit and start on homework.

Passing by mom in the living room, I grab my school bag from on the floor. I don't why I leave it there when I know I'll just have to come back for it. I guess it's another habit of mine...

As I make my way up the stairs, my mother's voice brings me to a halt. "Caleb, wait! Before you go up, I want to tell you one more thing."

I turn to look at her. "Yeah?"

"Mrs. Howard asked if you'd be able to come to their house tomorrow for dinner. To meet the girl."

"Oh, yeah, sure. What time?"

"Around six o'clock."

"Sounds good to me," I say.

She smiles. "Perfect! I'll text you their address. Alright, you can go up now," she says, waving me forward.

I nod and turn to go up to my room, wondering how the dinner will go tomorrow.

{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}
A/N Katie here!

Hola my COOKIES!!!! How've you been?!?!:)

SUPER DUPER SHORT I NOW!!!!!! THE NEXT CHAPTER WILL BE LONGER. I JUST HAD TO GET THIS OUT THAT CALEB IS GOING TO TUTOR HER. AND TOMORROW IS THE FIRST TUTORING SESSION(not really), SO GET READY TO SEE HOW THEY WILL REACT!!!!

Thank you so much for reading!!!! Hope you like this chapter:) tell me what you think so far;)

Love you my cookies<33333

Comment!
Vote!
Enjoy!

Katie out Xx