Chapter 31 : Meet the Parents

I'm up early the next morning, nerves winning out over sleep. I wake up alone in my cabin and quietly get dressed. I sneak a peak at my alarm clock and it reads 6:24. I rub my eyes as I walk out the door.

Dim sunlight flashes in my eyes as I step off the porch of Beaver Cabin. I stretch my arms above my head and let out a loud yawn.

Oh yeah.

Those stretches are the best.

I smile against the light then shake out my stiff muscles. My head is full of distracting thoughts.

I take a deep breath and start on a walk through the trees. It barely seven o'clock and it's already freaking hot outside. A light layer of sweat is on my forehead by the time I get to the docks. I settle down on the edge, dangling my feet in the water.

I don't know how long I sit there but I hear footsteps behind me. I don't bother looking to see who it is until they sit down beside me.

I instantly know from my peripheral vision that Dax has taken the open spot beside me. I look over at him with a smile.

His skin has somehow become darker over the past weeks from hours upon hours in the sun. His hair has grown out but is still shorter than everyone else's. The only thing missing at this moment is his grin.

Which is concerning.

"Why are you up so early?" I ask him, bumping his shoulder with mine.

"I could ask you the same thing." Dax answers dryly, lacking his usual humour.

"Brain is too full. A little stressed too." I admit, hoping my truth will help him open up.

Dax has never been an open book. If you ever want his food for thought, you have to work for it. Luckily, the more I've gotten to know him, the easier it is for him to trust me.

"Whatcha thinking about?" He asks, avoiding saying what he is really thinking.

And I let him because this is what he needs in order to tell me what's on his mind.

"Meeting Ace's parents." I admit.

I told everyone Ace's news shortly after he told me yesterday. Everyone was hopeful that they could help us. Help me.

"Ah. That's a big step." Dax nods his head knowingly.

"Have you met Lee's parents yet?" I ask.

"I've met his dad. Mom's a dead beat."

"How did that go? I've only done the whole 'meet the parents' thing once." 

"It went great actually. His dad is super accepting. I think he liked me? It's kinda hard to tell." Dax admits, finally softening up.

"That's good. Has Lee met your folks?" I prod.

"He's met my mom." He pauses briefly. "My dad hasn't spoke to me in a while."

My heart clenches. Dax's parents began their divorce at the start of this year but it's been coming on for a while. It's been hard on the whole family.