Chapter 17: Motel Business

"Didn't you ask for two beds?" I whirl on Ace.

"I did. What are you-" Ace cuts himself off when he turns around. "Oh. That is only one bed."

"Thank you, Captain Obvious." I state dryly.

"I can go ask for a new room." Ace turns to leave but I stop him.

"No. It's fine. Whatever. I already got the corner of the bed wet with my clothes. And it's cold outside so just... stay. We'll deal with it." I answer.

"Okay." Ace says simply.

"I'm going to shower. I'm cold. Don't sit on the bed with your clothes. We will hang them up to dry in the bathroom."

"Umm we don't have a change of clothes, Tuffs." Ace says.

Shit. My eyes fly around the room and land on the closet. I walk over and open it up. Bingo! Two robes hang in the closet. I take them out and throw one at Ace.

"Here. For after your shower."

I don't wait to hear a response as I walk into the bathroom after grabbing a towel. It isn't the nicest motel I've been in but it's warm and dry so I don't mind.

I turn on the shower. It takes a couple seconds to warm up enough to step in. When it's ready I jump in eagerly. Warm water rushes over my head and I soak it up.

I've been cold and wet all day. This shower is exactly what I need.

I step out a couple minutes later. Steam floats around the bathroom and I dry off. My skin is still a little sticky when I pull on the robe. It definitely wasn't my first choice of clothing when I was alone in a room with a guy but it would have to do.

I step out of the bathroom, steam following me. Ace's eyes meet mine when walk into the room. I look down to avoid prolonged eye contact.

"Your turn" I say, sitting on the bed after handing up my rain-soaked clothes in the closet.

I pray they are dry by tomorrow (tonight would be wonderful but I don't think I'm that lucky).

Ace uses his shoulder to shove off the wall where he had been standing, looking on his phone. He's in the bathroom within seconds.

I grab the remote from the end table and turn on the tv. I prop up some pillows against the head of the bed and lean back. I quickly tuck my legs under the covers then flip through the channels.

I finally decide on a cheesy shark movie. I pull out my phone to text my dad.

Me: We got a room.

I don't bother to mention there is only one bed. I also don't think about tonight and what that entails.

Bossman: That's good. Hopefully it clears up by tomorrow.

Me: Fingers crossed.

I put my phone down. I should save my battery since we hadn't brought any chargers. Luckily I had just got a new phone recently so the battery life was still good. But just in case.

Just when I go back to watching the movie, Ace comes out of the bathroom.

Dear Lord, help me.

Ace hadn't put on the robe, instead, he had slung the towel around his hips. That meant his abs were on full show, including the very tempting v-line that disappeared under the white towel. Water still stuck to his tanned skin and his hair was dripping wet.

"Did you even dry off?" I ask him, pretending that's the reason I'm staring.

"Yes. Why do you ask?" Ace answers.