Chapter 18 : It's Okay

I wake to thrashing beside me. I sit up in the dark and look over at Ace. His face is drawn into a frown and his legs kick out.

He's having a nightmare.

I would know.

I reach over gently and tap his shoulder. He doesn't wake up, a strangled sound leaves his throat. My heart squeezes at his fear.

I scoot over to his side of the bed and prop myself up against the headboard. Being as soft as I can, I move his head onto my legs. Sweat coats his forehead and I rub my fingers over it, clearing it away.

I run my hands through his hair, trying my best to soothe him. Leaning down, I whisper into his ear, trying to wake him up.

"Ace. It's okay. You're okay." I keep my fingers moving through his hair. God, it was so fluffy. "Hey. Wake up. C'mon, Beckett."

Suddenly, Ace takes in a deep breath. His eyes fly open and his body goes taught.

"It's okay, Ace. You're awake now." I keep my voice low.

Ace's breathing settles along with his body. He must've realized it was me. He allows me to continue to comfort him for a few minutes before sitting up.

"I'm sorry." Ace says, turning to look at me.

"What for?" I ask.

"For waking you up. I usually don't do that. I don't know. I'm-"

"Oh my God, Ace. It's okay." I reach out and grab his hand. "I know how it feels."

His eyes meet mine and he nods shortly. "Still. I'm sorry."

"Don't be. Are you going to be able to sleep now or do you want me to stay up with you?" I ask, thinking about what happens when I wake up from my own nightmares.

"I, uh. I think I'm going to be awake for a while." Ace answers sheepishly.

"Okay. What will get your mind off of things?" I say while moving back over to my side of the bed.

"You." He says.

I thank the dark for covering my blush.

"What about me?" I ask, my voice thick.

"Anything."

Well that's a loaded answer. He could be asking for a lot of things.

"I don't know what to say." I whisper.

"You don't have to say anything. Just let me hold you."

Oh? Oh. Well, then. My chest tingles as I move into his arms.

His pulse is still racing from the nightmare but he is much calmer than before. I cuddle into his chest and close my eyes.

For as ripped as this guy is, he is extremely comfortable to lay on.

"Do you have any siblings?" I ask after a few moments of silence.

Ace stiffens underneath me. I instantly regret asking.

"Sorry, you don't have to tell me. You can just forget I asked." I say, and press my head into his chest in apology.

A few moments pass before he takes a deep breath, his chest rising along with my head.

"I have two sisters." He pauses. "Had." Ace's breath rattles in his throat. "I had two sisters. I only have one now."

My heart breaks right there.

"I'm so sorry, Ace. I didn't know." I push away from his grasp to look him in the eye.

He smiles at me sadly. "It's okay. There is no way you could've known."