Meet

LEVI'S POV

For the last couple of weeks, Levi had the pleasure of feeling your warm body against his every night. You would always fall asleep before him, giving him the time and space to stare at your features deeply through the darkness. He paid attention to every single detail that decorated your face: the way your eyelashes covered your closed eyes, your pouty crimson lips, and just how delicious they looked while you were fast asleep.

Though he didn't find it in himself to kiss you again. Something within him had shifted during those nights. As if self doubt and worry had almost completely taken over him. He wanted you close to him, he craved your warmth and the reassuring sensation of your skin. Yet, he understood how your necklace meant something, even if he didn't know exactly what. Tension around the camp worried him profoundly, reassuring his conviction to protect you. He understood that your necklace, sleepwalking and eerie dream were putting you at risk. Indulging in your kiss felt greedy and somehow, he needed to protect himself as well.

Developing feelings for you meant he could lose someone...again.

Soon enough, the day for his old subordinates to visit Levi finally arrived. His recovery had been a speedy one, and he felt immensely thankful for your presence and help. Although he didn't admit it to you, he had written to Mikasa back after receiving her letter, asking her to visit along the others. To his surprise, she agreed.

It had been three years since he had seen his former squad - he wondered what everyone's lives looked like, if they had gotten married, if anyone had kids. Although, they were still kids in Levi's eyes.

The night of the arrival, a special dinner had been prepared by some of the refugees. They'd known Levi was to receive visitors and decided to offer a nice gesture to the ex-captain. Although he hardly showed it, he felt immensely grateful for it. He had always appreciated empathy and kindness in people, since those were qualities he tried so hard to conceal within himself, but deep inside, knew he possessed.

Gabi and Falco soon helped Levi to the dining tent - it was decorated by dim candle lights. The night was cold, much colder than usual, and Levi began to wonder where you were. As he sat down by the table, he quickly glanced at the tent entrance, his eyes widened and his lips parted with excitement.

'Look who I found' - you exhaled as you entered the tent, followed by those oh so similar faces he hadn't seen in years. Right behind you, Mikasa, Jean, Connie, Reiner, Armin and Annie entered the tent. When he finally placed his eyes on the later, a deep frown emerged within his brows. The blonde girl looked down, an uncomfortable gaze in her eyes. Everyone began talking over each other - somehow Levi understood you had welcomed them at the camp entrance. You already knew Reiner, but as far as Levi was concerned, the rest were strangers to you. He was excited to watch you interact with them.

Every single one of them hugged Levi - the former captain took turns patting them in the back playfully. That is, until it was Annie's and Reiner's turn. They simply nodded at him - their eyes expressing deep sadness and regret. Levi's face remained still in a slight frown. He noticed you were observing the uncomfortable interaction through his peripheral vision.

As the old squad sat down, everyone began enjoying the delicious meal. Some of the refugees had taken the time to prepare a delicious roasted meat, with potatoes and vegetables on the side. You sat down across Levi, right between Jean and Connie. Mikasa sat next to the former captain and soon began to speak.