Part II: Photos

LEVI'S POV

It was silent for a while. Levi noticed every detail in the dark living room. It was overly decorated, with pictures of little kids and a younger couple invading the space messily. The photos seemed to propose an artificial sense of normalcy: Reiner Braun's childhood had been nothing but ordinary or normal, yet the smiling tried to implore otherwise. A wedding, a family trip, birthday parties. It almost seemed like his mother had tried to put up a facade for his own sake. Levi inspected the room quietly as all of you sat on the table in heavy silence. The older woman remained still, her eyes locked on her lap. Her glassy gaze looked fragile.

'It can't be', she muttered after what felt like an eternity. 'They were just children', as she let out those last words she covered her mouth and closed her eyes, tears began to stream down her face. Levi tilted his head and found your gaze as you looked at your hands. You held a deep frown, your lips slightly pressed together sternly. He noticed your breathing was heavy. Reiner held onto his mother's hand the whole time.

'It was my fault. I couldn't protect them', Reiner sighed. A deep sense of sorrow shook Levi to his core. Gabi and Falco were gone. Forever. And nothing would change that fact. Why did this have to keep going on and on? Why did people have to keep dying for a dying cause, a dying war? It didn't make any sense. He continued to wonder silently as his face remained unreadable.

'Don't. Do not blame yourself, love', Reiner's mother said as she squeezed his hand. 'I will...talk to their parents...'

'We can't stay here, it's not safe. I can't risk you getting hurt', as Reiner sighed, Levi noticed the worried expressions everyone held. 'I came here to let you know we are okay, we just need somewhere to go. Somewhere more discrete so we can figure out a plan', he pressed his lips tightly as he let out those last words. 

'There's an Inn, the Dragonfly. I will write down directions for you. But Reiner, please. You stay here'.

'I can't, mother. I can't risk your life for this', he pulled himself up to hug his mom tight. He was almost two heads taller than her. The scene felt bizarre but touching. After a moment, Levi broke the heaviness of the silent scene.

'Oi, we should get going. Ma'am, thank you for letting us stay here for a bit', Levi narrowed his eyes as he looked into the woman's eyes. Sometimes he would find himself performing. What surprised him was realizing he hadn't done it in years. Not since he was a Captain. This sort of character, the serious, graceful, stoic, serene and strong man he always had to be. The tough one. The cunning one. Ruthless even. Maybe parts of this character had remained with him after that one last fight happened three years earlier. Maybe there was no way to truly know how much of it had been a character and what had truly been him all along. But one thing was certain: ever since Levi had met you, a softer, more vulnerable side of him had allowed itself to take over, the part of him that trusts and even loves, the part of him he never knew before you came along. He had trusted people before, but never to this extent. Not like he trusts you. But here he was again, performing as the strong Captain everyone relied on.

As everyone began to stand up to leave, he looked at you one more time. You were still in your nightgown, now covered by an old coat that belonged to one of the bodies left at the camp. You looked bloody and dirty, your hair messy, yet your lips still glowed and your face looked almost angelical to him.

'Thank you', was all you could say to the older woman. Levi noticed how she looked into your eyes deeply as you said this to her, as if she could see right through you. As if she could feel your pain.

By the time you all found the Inn, it was already mid morning. The place looked almost ancient, which pleased Levi. Something about the architecture brought forth memories of the old Survey Corps Headquarters. You were placed in rooms of two, with double beds each. As the old receptionist gave Levi the keys to his room, he allowed everyone to go up the stairs and decide who they'd be sharing their rooms with in private. Unsurprisingly, you stayed behind him. Once he turned around, he placed the key on your open palm.

'Well, it looks like we don't have a choice but to share a room', you chuckled fakely. He could tell your sarcasm did not stem from awkwardness you felt toward him specifically, but from exhaustion. The last hours had been emotionally draining for everyone, specially for you, and he understood this. He held your hand tenderly and guided you up the stairs. Once you both got to your room, Levi felt almost taken aback. The spacey room was extremely tidy and pristine clean. 

'I'm going to take a bath', you sighed as you took off your coat. You looked at him with sorrow in your eyes. He deeply wanted to understand you. And knowing he couldn't possibly put himself in your position and what you were feeling brought a deep sense of sadness within him.

'May I join you?', he let out as he looked into your eyes intently. A deep desire to care for you took over his head and heart. There was nothing he wanted more than to repair what had broken inside you, all while fully knowing he couldn't possibly do so. An impulse to nurture and hold you close clouded his mind. You didn't even respond, you just let out one of those tight lip, miniscullar smiles of yours. The ones you would let out when upset. The ones that took everything in you to articulate. He knew you enough to understand it.

The water was warm beneath the bodies. Levi noticed this was the first time he had seen your figure in this position. Every single time he would discover the sight of you at a different angle, it would mesmerize and excite him, prompting him to look forward to the next time he would make such a discovery on the map that was your body. Your skin felt soft and warm as your back laid against his chest. He had washed your back, arms and thighs. He had rinsed and cleansed your hair, then moved it away from the back of your neck to leave kisses against your skin. He heard every single sigh of relief, every single sound that left your lips. As he kissed your neck, and then your back, he felt his own breathing against your skin. This moment felt like home. Like his favorite tea in the early mornings, like riding his favorite horse. It reminded him of beautiful, simple moments he had enjoyed in solitude before, but now felt even more meaningful, more complete, since you were by his side. The stranger. The woman with the crimson pendant who paints landscapes and holds a secret she doesn't even understand. 

The answer. But what is even the question?