3: Can't Stop Loving Him

MARIA WAYNE

"How long will you be gone for?" Rene asked me as I counted the cash before handing it over to the customer. The nice lady smiled and thanked me and I smiled back.

I glanced at Rene as she stood beside me with her hands resting on her hip bone, "Couple of months." I answered her. The next customer came and showed me his receipt and handed me the cash. I greeted him and opened the cashier machine and put the cash the customer gave to me. I handed him the change and thanked him. There was no one else in the queue so, I sighed and looked at not-so-happy Rene.

Rene is a friendly girl by nature. Not to mention – she is beautiful. She is a bit feisty but, she is a great person. Rene is the only child of Mrs. Cooke and usually manages the café with her mother. Rene started to visit our apartment as soon as we become great friends. She was the first friend I made in Chicago. She told me about the café and offered me a job. I was already bored from staying in the apartment all day long, so I accepted the job and started working as a cashier in her café.

After few months of our friendship – I told her about my previous relationship with Silas and she told me that she recognized me the minute she saw me but, she didn't mention anything as she didn't want to intrude in my personal life. She said that she was waiting for me to tell her that by myself. That day – our friendship bounded even more.

She looked wry, "How many months are we talking about exactly?" she asked.

I shrugged, "Four – maybe five." I replied. She frowned and I rolled my eyes, "Come on, Rene – you know that she is my best friend and she needs me now. I have to be there for her." I explained.

She sighed, "But, what about your job?" she asked.

"I am quitting. I already gave two weeks' notice to your mother." I answered with a smile.

She scowls, "You what?!" She asked loudly. Some of the customers looked at us – she mumbled an apology and looked at me. "You can't quit." She opposed while folding her arm over her chest.

"I can't go on leave for five months, Rene," I said. "And anyway, Charlie invited all of you as well," I added.

Her lips curled into a small smile, "She did?" she asked and I nodded. "I would love to meet her." She said. "But, you can't leave this job, Maria. We will find a temporary substitute. It is already bad enough that you are leaving for five months." She added.

"Who is leaving?" Rene and I twirled our head to look at David walking towards us with a newspaper in his hand.

David is a friend of mine. He used to be the quiet frequenter of our café. Once we talked as he waited for his coffee and since that day we have been good friends. He is a journalist by profession – he works at a local newspaper company. I won't argue if someone would say that David is a handsome man. His caramel-colored hair, tall height, lean body, and fairly attractive features made him look quite dashing.

He smiled broadly at both of us and then looked at sullen Rene, "What happened to you?" he asked her.

"Maria is leaving." She told him causing him to frown.

He looked at me and I rolled my eyes, "Just for a few months." I added.

"Five months," Rene interjected.

I looked at Rene, "Yes, but I will be back." I ensured her.

She didn't even look at me – she kept gazing at him, "And she is leaving the job as well." She complained like a child. I chuckled and lightly shook my head. Rene eyed me, "It is not funny." She scolded.