13: Rude Alex

MARIA WAYNE

The following day I asked Charlie to take me to my old apartment. Before I left New York, Leo came here to sell it – although, it hurt me to sell my place, I needed the money, so we sold it to a nice couple. I just wanted to see how it was now. I have spent a lot of time there and that apartment is close to my heart. I just wanted to visit it once. Charlie agreed to take me there and after breakfast Charlie, I and Kathie went to see my old place.

Upon reaching the building, we came to know that the couple has sold it to someone else. We weren't sure if whoever was living there would let us have a look, but we decided to give it a try anyway. We went upstairs. The elevator wasn't working, so I had to climb the stairs. Charlie asked me to come later when the elevator would be working, but I insisted that I can climb. When we reached the destined floor, I was already out of breath. It has been happening a lot lately, just by walking for a few minutes feels like I have run a marathon. Kathie was asking where we were and Charlie was busy answering her. I took a deep breath before I stepped nearer to the familiar door. I twirled around to glance at Charlie to see her standing while holding Kathie's little hands in hers. She passed me an encouraging smile. I smiled back and sighed before twirling back around and ringing the doorbell.

After a few seconds, I heard muffling sounds from behind the door. I wetted my dry lips and waited for them to open the door. The door swung open – revealing a young man. He knitted his brows and smiled, "Hi, how can I help you?" he asked while glancing behind me. He doesn't look older than twenty-five or twenty-six maybe, his blue eyes held gazed at me curiously. I was lost of words for a second, I felt stupid for showing up unannounced. I mashed my lips together, "Ah – um, I am Maria Wayne. I used to live in this apartment." I told him.

He narrowed his eyes, "Oh, wow really?" he questioned.

I smiled, "Yes, uh – we did." I answered him. "I am so sorry that I bothered you, but I just wanted to see my old apartment," I told him.

He chuckled, "I get it. I still miss my apartment in Vegas." He said and wide opened the door. "Come on in," he asked us to come in. I smiled and stepped inside the apartment. I wanted to laugh when I saw the inside of the apartment – it was a complete mess. The guy scratched his neck and chuckle, "I am sorry, it is such a mess." He apologized. "It is just me and my older brother and as you can see we both are not the tidiest people." He said as he removed clothes from the couch.

I laughed, "It's okay." I nodded.

He slapped his forehead, "Oh, I am sorry. I didn't introduce myself. I am Nathan Swift." He extended his hand out for a handshake. He looked behind me. I twirled around to see Kathie and Charlie standing behind me. "She is my best friend, Charlotte, and her daughter, Kathie." I introduced them to Nathan.

I waved his hand, "Hi." He greeted.

"Hey." Charlie greeted back while Kathie just hid behind Charlie. Charlie chuckled, "I am sorry, she is a little shy." Charlie told Nathan.

He smiled, "It's okay." He nodded. While Nathan and Charlie were talking to each other, I was busy looking around. The walls were still of the same shade. I could see the cabinet of the open kitchen – they were the same as well. Our old furniture was now replaced by more funky ones and the whole apartment was muddled. There were clothes off the couch, few beer bottles on the floor. I could see crumbs on the grey carpet and a box of pizza on the table. The PlayStation was connected to the LED television and some game was on the pause.

"So, would you like to have something for a drink?" he asked us while clapping his hands together.

"Can I have some water please?" I asked him. He nodded, "Sure, why don't you all sit down?" he asked and moved towards a small fridge. "Would you like to have something to drink, Charlotte?" he questioned her.