41: We Are Nothing

MARIA WAYNE

Charlie, I and Elizabeth went shopping today. It has been so long since I went out with these girls only. Since Elizabeth is in town – we thought we should spend some time together and also shop somethings for our trip and as well as the wedding. Luckily, I was able to convince Rene and Paige to come with us on the trip for a week. Honestly, I didn't have to convince them too much – they both were ready to join us in no time. We weren't sure where to go, but on popular demand – we decided to head to Vegas. By popular demand, I mean – Elizabeth pleaded us to go to Vegas. It would be a great getaway, so we agreed to go to Vegas next week. Although after shopping almost all day long I was exhausted, Elizabeth asked us to come with her to Silas's penthouse. She said that we could get some pizza, watch a movie, and gossip – since, she misses doing it all because she doesn't have any girl-friend in London. We couldn't say no to her. Also, I get to meet Bear and – maybe Silas.

Upon reaching there – we were surprised by the presence of the girl I saw in the lobby before. Alice – I remember Silas telling me about her. When Beth rang the doorbell – I expected it to be opened by Silas, but instead, it was her – Silas's ex-girlfriend, who is now pregnant. Her presence was a punch to my guts. I swallowed the lump I felt in my throat as I gazed down on her small baby bump. I couldn't shake off the fact that she was with Silas – at his penthouse – alone. I couldn't take all the negativity off my mind.

I gazed towards Charlie to see the disappointment at her face as well – she looked angry while I didn't know how to feel. When Silas walked out of the kitchen and stood a couple of feet behind Alice – our eyes met and at that instant, I could tell that he knew what I was thinking about. He knew what was going in my mind. "No, it is not what you people think it is," Silas said as soon as Charlie said something that I didn't listen to. His eyes were on me all the time. Alice raised her eyebrow and chuckled before turning around and glancing at Silas, "Do you people think that something is going on between us?" She chuckled. "No." She laughed. Silas walked closer and sighed, "Come in, you all. Marcus will be here shortly as well." He said to us. I knitted my eyebrows and gazed at Charlie, "Marcus?" She questioned to Silas.

He nodded, "Yes." he said. "I didn't want to tell you all about this now, but I guess I better tell them now, or else there will be misunderstandings and honestly, I can't take them anymore," Silas said as he looked straight into my eyes. He moved forward and put his hand on my left cheek while looking into my teary eyes, "I swear it is not what you think it is, nor it can ever be with someone else." He spoke softly. I could feel everyone else looking at us. I gulped and back away slightly. He removed his hand from the face. It was the first time when Silas showed such affection towards me in front of everyone since we came back – he never touched me in such a manner in front of others before and somehow it freaked me out. I glanced at him to see him looking at me with hurt displayed in his eyes – he didn't expect me to back away.

The silence was suffocating me and the gazes were burning through my skull. I gulped, "What – what is it that you want us to know?" I asked him. He kept silent for a couple of seconds and kept his gaze on me before he sighed, "First, come in – please." He said to us.

He turned around and walked in. I glanced at Charlie who was already looking at me, "Let's go." She said as she nodded me to go in first. We followed Silas and Alice in the penthouse. Silas walked into the kitchen and came out with a glass of milk and a plate full of cookies. He handed it to Alice who sat on the couch beside Elizabeth while I said on the other side and Charlie took the armchair. I glanced towards Silas who sat in front of us, "Thank you so much, Silas. I needed this." Alice said with her mouth full. Silas chuckled, "It is okay. You enjoy." He said to her. I kept looking towards Silas, but he didn't look back at me. He was upset about what I did a few minutes ago.