20: Mommy's Here

SILAS HARRISON

The next morning, I didn't wait for my mother to wake up. I woke up early, just had coffee, and came to meet Marcus. I left Bear with my neighbor's teenage son. He is fond of him and likes to spend time with Bear. I had to talk to Marcus – he wasn't very amused to know that mom was here. When I knocked at his penthouse, the door was opened by Charlie. She smiled and let me in. I frowned, "What are you doing here?" I asked. I thought it sounded rude, so I rephrased, "I mean, I didn't know you spend nights here as well." I wiggled my eyebrows.

She chuckled and lightly shook her head, "I don't, but Marcus called me last night and asked me to stay with him." she sighed. She looked tired too. "He didn't take the news well." She shrugged. "He was disturbed all night." She added. I mashed my lips and sighed, I assume – she knows that our mother is here.

I twisted my lips, "And what about you? Are you okay?" I asked her. I somehow felt guilty – maybe I shouldn't have let her stay. I got a little emotional after seeing her like that – maybe it would have been rational if I would have let her stay in a hotel.

She smiled, "What about me?" she asked. "She didn't do anything wrong to me, Silas, but she did hurt the two most important people in my life – of course, I am not all excited by her unannounced arrival." She said. I only nodded and lowered my gaze. We both were quiet for a few seconds before I heard her stepping nearer to me. I felt her hand over my shoulder. I lifted my head to see her. "Are you okay, Silas?" She questioned.

Was I okay? No, of course not – I wasn't okay. I could hardly sleep last night. I stayed up most of the time last night and thought about what the woman, who was staying in the other room of my house, did to my life. Just how impotent she has made me – her son. "I will be okay," I answered her shorts. She smiled and nodded, "Marcus is in his study room. Did you do breakfast?" She asked me.

I shook my head, "I just had coffee." I replied.

"I am making breakfast for Marcus and Kathie. I can make some for you as well." She suggested just when my stomach rumbled. "I will take that as a yes." She laughed. I chuckled, that was embarrassing.

Charlie walked into the kitchen and I went to Marcus's study where he was busy reading some papers. He glanced at the door where I was standing and took his reading glasses off. He smiled, "Why are you standing there? Come on, in." He gestured me to come in.

I smiled, "I thought you might be upset because of me." I told him and sat on the couch. He stood up from his chair and walked towards where I was sitting.

He knitted his brows, "Why would I be upset with you?" He questioned.

I shrugged, "You know, she is here and I let her stay at my place." I told him. Marcus chuckled and shook his head, "Silas, are you crazy? It isn't your fault. And she can stay with you – why would I have any problem with that?" He asked. I forced my lips to curl in a small smile and nodded. No matter what he says, I somehow felt repentant. "How long is she here for, again?" he asked me after a short pause.

"For a week," I replied. "She asked me to bring her here to meet you, but I told her that I won't till you say so," I told him. He quietly stared at the floor while nodding his head. I blew my cheeks out and leaned my head over the header, "So much happened yesterday." I said as I stretched my legs and rubbed my eyes while sinking on the couch. I was still feeling tired due to lack of sleep from last night.

Marcus looked at me while knitting his eyebrow, "What else happened?" He asked.

I gasped and sat straight, "I broke up with Alice." I told him.

"What? Really?" He asked. I looked at him and nodded. "Wow. Okay – and how did she take it?" He asked. "Not so well in the beginning, but she will be okay," I replied. "I feel guilty for breaking up with her. She was expecting so much from this so-called relationship." I continued. "I hurt her."