49: Threats and Thrums

MARIA WAYNE

It was hard to process everything when Silas was yelling on his phone. Marcus was talking to the hotel manager – asking them to not let any paparazzi in, Elizabeth was talking on the phone with Owen – explaining her everything, and Rene was asking Paige questions while I sat quietly on the couch. Charlie took Kathie to the other room – it was all too chaotic for a child. I glanced towards Silas as tears filled in my eyes. It was my fault – I should have never told anyone anything about my failed marriage or anything about the Harrisons. I can help but blame myself for everything that is happening. We tried to call David, but he wasn't picking it up.

From what we have seen on the internet, David has published everything that Silas and his family tried to keep a secret. He mentioned Marcus and Susan in it, he wrote about Charlie and Marcus's relationship and he also wrote about Ruby. Now the world knows about the secrets of the Harrison family – just because I couldn't keep my mouth shut.

"Maria, I am sorry – I should have told him everything you told us. I am so sorry." I don't even know for how many times Paige tried to apologize, but each time I answered her with my silence. I had nothing to say to her. I was furious with her, but I was more enraged on myself. I turned my face to look at the window covered with dark curtains. We had to lock ourselves in – we couldn't give anyone a chance to take our picture or anything that would spark even more controversies. I was drowning in guilt when I felt a hand on my shoulder – I turned my face to see Marcus sitting beside me on the couch with a small smile on his face. I looked behind him to see that Silas was gone and so were Rene and Paige. Only Elizabeth was sitting on the bed typing on her cellphone. I sighed as I averted my gaze to look at Marcus, "I screwed up everything." My voice trembled as I tried to compose myself – I didn't want to cry.

Marcus creased his forehead, "No, you didn't. Why would you say so?" He asked me. "I should have never spoken about Silas and me, about you or anyone from your family to my friends," I answered him. My eyes were burning as they filled with tears. I mashed my lips together and sniffed, "It is my entire fault. I am to blame here. I am so sorry, Marcus, because of me he dragged you in it." I apologized. A tear escaped my eye and Marcus frowned. He shook his head and embraced me in a tight hug, "You have nothing to do with this." He mumbled. "I shouldn't have said anything," I said as I sobbed.

"When you keep things to yourself for too long, it rots you from the inside," Elizabeth said as she walked nearer to us. Marcus and I pulled away from each other as Elizabeth sat on the coffee table. "We are not supposed to keep everything to ourselves, Maria. Sometimes we have to tell it to somebody to feel free – to lift the weight off our shoulders." She spoke as she held my hand in hers. She shrugged, "You told them about us because you thought they were your friends. It is Paige and that guy David to blame. They broke your trust. You, Maria, have nothing to do with it." She added as she smiled softly and wiped the tear-offs my cheek. She was being kind to me – I wasn't fully convinced. I know she and Marcus are trying to make me feel better, but I can't forget the fact that somehow – I am responsible for the mess.

"Silas will be so mad at me." I gave words to my utmost fear.

"Said who?" I turned my head to see Silas standing at the entrance of the room with his hands shoved in his pockets. He averted his gaze towards Marcus before looking back at me. Marcus and Elizabeth stood up on their feet. Marcus turned to look at me, "Don't you dare blame yourself for any of this, okay?" He asked. I sighed and nodded my hair. "I will go and see what Charlie and Kathie are up to," Marcus said. I simply smiled through teary eyes and nodded. Elizabeth only winked and kissed my head before she walked out following Marcus – leaving Silas and I alone in the room. Silas looked at me for a few seconds before he sighed and closed the room's door behind him.