Epilogue

ELIZABETH HARRISON

Laughter filled in the room as Silas cracked another one of his lame jokes. I chuckled at it as I shook my head, "Oh, I feel so bad for you Maria – you will be stuck with his lame joke for the rest of your life," I said to her as she laughed and Silas passed me a bored look. Maria lifted her head to look at Silas, who sat beside him and smiled, "It is alright – I will manage." She spoke. "Of course, you will." Silas grinned and kissed his fiancée on the lips. I rolled my eyes and looked at dad as he spoke, "I am so happy that you are back, Maria. Welcome back o the Harrison," Dad raised a toast.

My brothers finally found their happiness. Charlie is pregnant – all ready to get married next week while Silas and Maria decided to get married after Marcus and Charlie's child is born – they want him to be the part of the wedding. And then there was me. No one knows what goes in my life – no one knows how robotic my life has become. All I do is work and take care of my mother – sometimes it feels like she is only responsible and no one is ready to share it with me, but then – how can Marcus or Silas look after him after what she did to them. I don't mind taking care of her – she is my mother after all. No matter how much anger I am with her – I would never kick her out of my life, but sometimes it feels like I don't have a life. Sometimes I too want someone to share my worries with, to share my responsibility with, and to be happy with.

I was in a relationship with Freddie for three years. It all started with just a one night stand, but soon we both started to see each other more often and in no time I was in love, but maybe he wasn't. Maybe that's why he cheated on me. I didn't know what or whom to blame for it. Was it a long-distance relationship? Because I was living in London and he was in Chicago. No one knows how many job offers I rejected just so I could live in London with my mother so that dad isn't left alone to take care of mom. Or was it because I wasn't enough? Was it because I didn't give him more time? Or was it because I was more into a relationship than just in sex? He never answered. He apologized and dumbed me.

What killed me was not the fact that I was dumb, but that he waited till I found him in bed with another girl to dumb me. He preferred cheating on me than to end the relationship. It broke me. I was even stupid enough to get drunk and call Maria and Silas to share my pain with. Only Silas knows about my breakup and I asked him to not let it out. I didn't want people to ask me questions.

I snapped out my dad's voice, "Elizabeth, did you tell them about the job offer you got?" He said as he swallowed the morsel. All of a sudden I felt all the eyes on me, "What job offer?" Marcus asked. I smiled and looked at him, "I was offered to work with a Pharmaceutical company in Chicago," I answered him short. Silas knitted his eyebrows together, "Really which company?" He asked. "West Valley Pharma," I replied.

Maria put her fork down and furrowed her eyebrows, "Wait, doesn't West Horizon Hospital comes under this company?" She asked. I smiled and nodded, "Yes, it does. How did you know that?" I asked her. She grinned, "My brother works there," She uttered. "So, did you accept the job? I have heard that they are pharmaceutical giants." She asked.

My smile slowly faded away, "Uh – I didn't give them my answer yet. I mean, I believe I have the better job at the moment," I lied. This was the best job that was ever offered to me, but knowing how my mother's mental health is declining – I can't leave her to dad alone when I know how busy he can get and how he needs care.

"Just do what you think is right for you," Marcus said to me, "If you accept this job then don't worry about the place to live there – we will arrange it for you," He assured. Silas nodded his head, "Yeah, there are many dumpsters in Chicago." He commented with a huge grin on his face. I rolled my eyes, "Of course you would know. Isn't that where you came from?" I asked him. Everyone laughed except for him. "You can't win with her," Marcus said as he chuckled. I leaned back in the chair with my head up high. Silas rolled his eyes and soon dad, Marcus, and Silas were talking business while Maria, I, and Charlie discussed the wedding.

After such a long time we all were having nice family time. We all were sitting in Marcus's penthouse's lounge. Dad was playing with Kathie while Marcus and Silas were discussing something about the wedding's security and Charlie, I and Maria were discussing the decoration when my cellphone rang. I looked at it to see that it was Aunt Monica from London – she is looking after mom while I and dad are here. I excused myself and walked away from the noise as I answered the phone.

"Hello?" I answered the phone. I could hear her heavy breathing, "Hello?" I said again – maybe she wasn't able to hear me. I was about the hang up the phone when I hear her cry, "What did you do, Ruby?!" My heart fell in my stomach when I hear her yell. "Aunt Monica? What happened? Can you hear me?!" I asked anxiously. "Liza, look what she has done," Aunt Monica cried. I gulped, "What happened?! What did she do?!" I yelled out apprehensively. By now everyone stopped talking. I could feel footsteps behind me but I didn't care, "What happened, Aunt Monica?" I asked her again. I could feel my fingers getting numb.

I could hear a muffled voice from behind, "She is gone, Elizabeth! Our Ruby is gone! She killed herself!" Aunt Monic replied before breaking into loud sobs causing me to drop my phone.