9: We Meet Again

MARIA WAYNE

When it was announced that we are about to land – I look out of the window. I felt knots in my stomach, my legs felt like jelly – that was it. No matter how much I tried to run away from this day – it has come. I never wanted to come back, I was scared to even look back, but life is nothing but unpredictable. The plans that we make for our life never work out, in fact, it always goes the opposite way. I oath to never come back and start my life anew, but here I am, about to land in the city that burned me.

After a couple of minutes, I finally landed. I blew my cheeks out and tried to calm my wrecking heartbeat. I was finally here. After going through all the procedures – I walked through the busy airport while a very nice guy helped me with my suitcases. As I took each step – a memory lit up in my mind, causing me to feel dizzy. I am not sure if I am ready to face everyone – to face the person I tried to leave in the past. I looked around the busy airport to see if Marcus or Charlie is here to pick me up. I haven't eaten anything on the flight, yet it felt like I was going to throw up. I mashed my lips and took a deep breath when I heard my name being called, "Maria!" I looked towards from where the voice was coming from and I almost sobbed when I saw crying Charlie running towards me and in a matter of few seconds, she embraced me in a tight crushing hug. I heard her sob on my shoulder and I closed my eyes – I was scared, but the happiness took over that feeling as soon as I saw her. "I missed you so much." I heard her saying as she cried.

I opened my eyes. My vision got blurry as tears were in my eyes, but still, with teary eyes, I could see a figure walking towards us with his hands in his pockets. I blinked and let the tears flow to see Marcus standing right in front of us with a grin on his face. Charlie finally let me go and Marcus took her place, "You have no idea how happy I am to see you here." he muttered. I chuckled and patted his muscular back.

"I missed you guys as well," I replied to him as we parted away. I looked at Charlie wiping off the tears. I put my hand over her shoulder and she started to cry again. My heart broke when I saw her like that. How selfish was I? I ran away. I was afraid. I wanted to start new. In my selfishness, I completely ignore Charlie who was left alone here. Of course, she had Marcus, but she needed her best friend as well and what did her best friend do? She ran away – like a coward she is. I put my hand around her neck while Marcus rubbed her other shoulder, "Stop crying, Charlie. I am sorry I wasn't here for you before." I said to her.

She shook her head and smiled while wiping off the tears again, "I am just really happy that you are here." she sniffed.

I chuckled, "I am here now. We have so much to do." I said excitedly. No matter how scared I was – I was always really excited for Charlie. She is getting married and I will try everything to make her wedding as memorable as I can.

She grinned, "Yes, Oh God – we have so much planning to do. We haven't even selected the venue yet, and dress – oh God – I have seen this beautiful dress on the internet. And the cake –" Charlie was ranting excitedly when Marcus cleared her throat and stopped her from talking.

"Don't you think, we should discuss all this at home." He suggested and looked around causing me chuckled.

Charlie poked her tongue out, "You are right." She chuckled. "Let's go." She said and held my hand as we walked out of the airport.

When we reached Charlie's apartment, which was in the same building as Marcus, I was welcomed by a giggling but a little shy Kathie. She was watching cartoons on television when I reached. While Marcus was helping the driver take my things to the room – I kissed Kathie on her cheeks and talked to her. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw her – she is growing up so fast. She was a little shy in the beginning, of course, she hasn't seen me in ages, but a little after that – she started to open up to me and told me about her favorite cartoons. "Do you like cartoons?" she asked me.