chapter: forty two

Dedicated to bri<3<3

Sitting in the Cafe, I held onto my coffee as I took a few sips while letting my eyes wander around. I saw a few people walking to a table, a few were standing at the counter and others were sitting around.

Every time the door chimed, I looked over but it wasn't who I was waiting for. I sighed as I took another sip of coffee before looking out the window then seeing her walk by.

I felt myself taking a few deep breaths as I looked towards the door as she walked in. I saw her stop as she was looking around before seeing me then walking towards me.

When she sat down across from me, I saw her slowly place her purse on the table as she was looking at me. "Hey.."

I found Sophie on social media and messaged her, telling her to meet me at the Cafe. I explained to her that I needed to talk to her and I really didn't think she would message me back let alone actually show up.

"I was surprised when you messaged me." She looks at me as I nod.

"Yeah, um.. sorry for the unexpectant meeting."

She folds her hands on the table before interlocking her fingers together. "So, what's the purpose?"

At this point, I was messing with my arm as I was trying to figure out what I was going to tell her. I was trying to word it out in my head cause I didn't want it to come out wrong.

"It's about.. River."

I saw her nod then a slight smile on her face appeared. "Sara told me some things."

Giving her a confused look, I shrugged. "What?"

"She told me that you liked River." She leans back and looks at me. "I kind of knew it myself from the way you acted, I suppose, around her."

"Yeah," I sighed. "I guess I'm not the best at hiding my crushes. Even River figured it out."

She looks at me before leaning up. "She knows you like her?" I nod. "What did she do?"

"Um.." I rubbed my forehead. "Kinda why I wanted to talk to you." I watch her for a moment. "She told me to leave her alone after she found out.. and then she started acting nice to me again, then pushed me away."

I saw her slowly nod before looking down at the table. I watch her as she looks up then sighs. "To be honest, Jesse.. It is best if you do stay away from her."

"Why?" I ask.

"It's just.. River is a little.. on the edge with the whole love concept thing."

I watch her for a moment before blurting the next words out. "I saw her folder. I read a few things in it and I know it was wrong but.. curiousity."

"You read her folder?" I nod as I watch her for a moment. "She doesn't know that, does she?"

Nodding, I saw something completely change in her expression and body language. "Yeah, she found me in her house the other day. Look, I already apologized to her."

"She didn't.. um, hurt you did she?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "No?"

"Ok good." She sighs.

"What do you mean by that?"

She looks out the window, avoiding eye contact for a moment before looking back at me. "What did you read?"

"Just the disorders she has." I saw her nod. "Is that the reason?"

"For the way she acts?" I nod as I watch her. "Yes, but you cannot repeat these words to her or anyone, ok? Some things are too personal to share, let alone let slip from your mouth."