chapter: forty nine

Waking up in another bed was always a weird feeling for me. I could feel discomfort all the time and before I even woke up, I knew I was out of place and not in my bed.

But this time it was different.

When I woke up at River's house, in a bed that wasn't mine, it was a feeling that I couldn't explain. It felt like home- the strangest way and it scared me a little when I woke up to realize that last night wasn't a dream.

I looked around the room then shivered underneath the covers as it was freezing in this room. I looked at my phone the table then grabbed it to see the time.

8:43

Sighing, I placed my phone down the rubbed my eyes before stretching. I looked at the ceiling for a moment before looking towards the door, realizing that I'd have to see River.

From what happened last night, I was scared to walk out the door. I was scared for many reasons, one being the she might have forgotten about last night and as soon as she sees me here, she'll freak out.

As I slowly got out of the bed, I slipped my shoes back on before standing up and grabbing my phone and keys, before placing them in my pocket.

I made the bed up before walking to the door, taking light steps and trying to hear anything from the other side of the wall.

As I slowly opened the door, I stuck my head out to look around but didn't see anyone. I walked out then slowly closed the door behind me before making my way tot he stairs.

That's when I heard something and instantly stopped.

It was coming from downstairs and I knew it was Sophie who was talking.

Walking further down the stairs, I wanted to hear what they were saying before making my presence known.

"Why, River?"

I walked towards the kitchen before stopping near the wall, listening as much as I could.

"Sophie.. I tried calling you last night. I even tried calling Belle but nobody was answering. I needed someone. Jesse was the only one that answered and came."

It was silent for a moment as I heard walking around, then I slowly peeked around the corner and saw River standing at the stove as Sophie was leaning her back against the counter.

"I'm sorry. I didn't hear my phone and didn't get the message until this morning. That's why I'm here." She watches River for a moment. "So, what happened?"

"The usual." River spoke. "I wanted to kill myself," She chuckled. "like every single fucking day. I threw things and.. you know the routine."

Sophie had her arms crossed before shaking her head. "River, I'm sorry.. but why is Jesse still here? Did she spend the night?"

"Yes." River turns to look at her and I quickly moved my head. "She did and she's upstairs right now."

"Did you ask her to?"

Silence.

"Yes."

Looking past the wall, I watched them as they were standing there. River had her back towards her, cooking something on the stove before grabbing a cup beside her and taking a sip.

"River.." Sophie sighs. "What are you doing, really?"

River remained standing there with her back towards her before flipping something in the pan. I saw her slowly turn around and look at Sophie for the longest time before answering her.

"I like her."

My eyes grew wide as I stared at them, watching River shake her head before placing her head in her hands and groaning. "I don't know what to do!"