chapter: fifty two

It's been a few days since that day at River's. I didn't go out anywhere in fear I'd run into her. I didn't go to El Placer cause I didn't want to see her. I tried coping with staring at the ceiling or hanging out with my family.

Anything to keep my mind occupied.

Sleeping was definitely not my friend these last few days. I tried so damn hard to sleep but nothing was helping and it was draining me.

My birthday was in two days and I knew mom and dad were planning something. They kept sneaking around, acting suspicious and I knew they were doing something.

I tried not letting my mood affect anything but it was hard cause all I kept thinking about was that day at River's.

It hurt when she said that about Belle, and I knew- I fucking knew all along that Belle and her were still fucking on the side but I didn't want it to be true.

I was sitting in the Cafe as Eli was working. I watched him as he was smiling at everyone, taking their orders or getting their drinks ready. I couldn't help but smile as I watched him, knowing he was doing something he loved.

Staring down at my coffee, I sighed before looking out the window. I watched the people walk by and the cars drive by as I was lost in my own little world.

I was zoned out so much that I didn't hear someone sitting across from me.

I looked over and saw Kris smiling, which made me smile. "Hey, Jesse."

"Hi."

He continued to stare at me for a moment. "You look exhausted."

I nodded before grabbing my coffee and taking a long, slow sip of it. I kept the warmth surround me and pulled me into a hug before sighing. "Sleep hasn't been my friend."

"I can see that." He said. "Anything you want to talk about?"

"Not really. Just sleeping problems." I lied.

He nods then looks around for a moment. "You want something to eat? I'll buy."

"Coffee is fine." I said. "You can buy me more." I smiled.

I saw him smile. "Of course." He gets up and walks away as I watch him before focusing back on my coffee.

I grabbed it before taking another sip of it and letting my eyes wander out the window. I looked at the sky and noticed how beautiful it was today, knowing that I wasn't going home anytime soon.

Going home means thinking and it turns to thoughts.

Kris came back a few moments later and handed me a coffee. "Was that your brother?" I look over at the counter then nod at him. "I wasn't sure how you liked your coffee so I asked him."

"Thanks." I smiled before grabbing the coffee and setting it next to the other one.

Looking at them both, I look up and saw Kris watching me before clearing his throat. "So um, what's your plans for today?"

"Anything but go back home."

"You're free all day?"

I nod. "Yep."

"You want to hang out? I can pay for whatever we do."

Watching him for a moment, I nod before smiling. "Sure. Sounds like fun."

"We can go to the city."

I raised an eyebrow. "You sure you want to go all the way over there?"

He shrugs. "Why not? It's more fun and plus, I know you want to get out of this town."

"How do you know?"