Chapter 7

As Matteo has his gun pointed at me I scramble trying to explain how I told them nothing and that I know nothing, "I promise on my life that I did not tell the Russians anything. They are the last people I want to help," I say in a calm tone trying to get him to understand. He gave nothing away with his cold emotionless eyes.

"Good. Then that's all I need from you," Matteo straightens his stance with the gun still up. I hear the gun click.

"Wait! Wait!" I don't know what to say but I need to say something, "Why are you going to kill me? I did nothing!"

"Because you know too much and you are of no use to me. Therefore I will simply dispose of you," his cold and emotionless eyes make it understandable why he is the most feared mafia boss in the world.

"I can be of use. I-I can give you information on the Russians," I know a decent amount about them. I hope it's enough to spare Maya's and I's life.

"How do I know you won't just feed us lies," I could tell he was starting to give in. I just need something to gain his trust.

"I will join your mafia. I will do whatever initiation you want me to do. As long as Maya and I can live," I swore I would never beg for anything but I need to save Maya this time. She is the only thing I have left and she deserves to live a life outside of the whore house. Even if it is involved with a different mafia.

"Fine," he lowers his gun, "Once you are finished I will take you two to the car. We will take you to the main house."

I saved his damn life and I don't even get a thank you. I pray I can get Maya away from this even if it means I have to deal with this shit forever. At least that was a good distraction from the pain of my arm being stitched up for the second time.

***

The main house is three hours away from the compound. Maya and I sat in the car together while Matteo drives. There is an awkward silence at the beginning of the drive. I finally decide to break the silence, "So Matteo, what do we have to do for initiation?"

"You'll see when we get to the house," he says giving nothing away like always.

"Can we get a change of clothes when we get there?" Maya asks clearly itching to get out of the same clothes she has worn for years now. Who knows if they even ever washed them.

"Yes, you will both change into... less revealing clothes," I almost laugh at how uncomfortable he sounds, "Because you two clearly aren't suited for combat or fighting you will stay in the house with my family," he put emphasis on the 'clearly' and I was kind of offended. Little does he know that after I was kidnapped I made sure to train as much as possible in all fighting combats I could.

"Hey, I may be short but I am strong. I carried your fat ass all the way out of the Americans compound," I said with a smug look on my face, proud of myself. Matteo, however, glared at me through the rearview mirror.

"Damn you became a badass, no longer the old you at all," Maya says smiling at me. Maya snorts, "I remember when you would always talk about your books and school."

"Oh shut up," I roll my eyes jokingly at her.

Matteo turns up the radio annoyed with us and I take this as a chance to talk to Maya without Matteo hearing.

"Hey, I don't want the Italians to know that I was in the whore house before so can you please not tell them. I don't want them to know my weak spot," I look pleadingly at her.

"Of course," she says as she hugs me.

What Makes You Beautiful by One Direction comes on the radio and Maya and I start singing it as a duet solely to annoy Matteo.