Chapter 17

It's five am in the morning and Matteo knocks on my door, "Can I come in?" Matteo and I have become closer over the past few weeks. I wouldn't say we are friends, we aren't more than friends, I don't really know what we are.

"Yeah," I don't know what this could be about.

Matteo walks in carrying a box, "Here you go," he hands me the box, "Put this on and get ready. The Mafia Market gathering is later today."

"Thanks, I guess," Matteo walks out.

I open the box to see a beautiful black gown. I pull the long dress out of the box and put it on. I look in the mirror, the dress has a slit on the left leg revealing all the way up to just below my hip. There are spaghetti straps on my shoulders that lead down to a V-neck. The V-neck isn't low, but still shows off a little cleavage and my collarbone tattoo. The dress sparkles in the light, the lace top of the dress show off my curves, and the bottom of the dress flows off my waist. I put on simple black heels and gold jewelry, including my sister's gold locket. I straighten my long black hair and put on minimal makeup.

Just as I finish up with hair and makeup Enzo knocks on my door to bring me downstairs, "Woah, you look," he pauses, "beautiful."

"Thank you, Enzo."

"Still calling me that are you?"

"Yessir," I smile at him, "I'll be ready in one minute."

"Hurry up, Matteo doesn't like to be late."

I go into my closet grab a thigh holster that I put one gun and two knives in. You always have to be prepared.

"Okay I'm ready," I say as I walk out the door to Enzo.

"Alright let's go."

We walk down the stairs to where Matteo is turned around talking on the phone. I walk down the stairs and stand behind him waiting for him to realize I'm here, "Yeah she is going to make us late," he says to whoever is on the other end of the phone call. I clear my voice to get his attention, "I've got to go," Matteo ends the phone call and turns around, "What do- Woah. Eve, you look, woah," Matteo looks me up and down, but at hardly notice as I do the same to him, "You look beautiful Eve." Matteo has a black tuxedo that makes him look even more frightening than before. He wears a gold watch on his wrist and a gun peeks out from the inside of his jacket.

"Thank you, you don't look too bad yourself," I joke with him but he's too focused staring at me.

"We are going to be late if you two don't stop drooling at each other," Enzo breaks our stares.

"Enzo who is your date?" I ask curiously.

"I don't have one, I will be watching over you guys from above."

We head out to the car which is a matte black Rolls Royce. I am in love with his cars.

***

"Alright, I will go around back and go up to the upper levels to keep an eye out for any trouble," Enzo says as he walks away.

Matteo and I start to walk in, "Ladies first," he says as he opens the door for me.

When we get inside he puts his hand on my lower back, I feel my whole body heat up just from that small touch, "Move your hand before I rip it off and smack you with it."

"You are my date, so I have to act like it," I don't think I can make it the entire night with him this close to me. I look around and notice that everyone is staring at Matteo, "Matteo everyone is staring at you."

"Yes, I know Eve. I am Matteo Lombardi, the most feared mafia boss in the world. People are going to stare," I don't know whether to be scared or feel safe standing next to him now.

"Oh," is all I can manage to say.

We walk around and start greeting people. Most people were really nice while others were not.

"So Matteo, this is your whore you decided to bring for the ball?" an ugly ogre-looking man asks Matteo.

I lunge at him but Matteo keeps a firm grip on my hip keeping me from moving. "No, this is my, uh," Matteo looks at me, "This is my girlfriend." Excuse me I never agreed to that. I go to protest but before I could say anything Matteo starts talking again, "Eve, may I have this dance."

"Fine," Matteo glares at me because of my tone, "But I don't know how to dance."

"It's ok just follow my lead."

When we get on the dance floor everyone else clears a path for us, "Give me your hand."

"No."

"Look, I'm not asking for your hand in marriage I am just showing you where to place your hands."

"Okay, fine."

Matteo takes my hands and places them on the back of his neck, he then puts his hands on my waist igniting my whole body. I tense at his touch but try not to show it. We start to dance and spin around the dance floor, eventually, everything and everyone else in the room fades away until it feels as if it is just us. I stare at him, seeing how truly beautiful he is. I look from his black hair to his perfect jawline that is so sharp it could probably cut someone. Most of all I stare into his emerald green eyes. At first glance, you only see a cold mafia boss but when you look deep into his eyes you can see all the emotions of his past hidden deep within.

The song ends and I realize I am so close to Matteo I can feel his breath on my face. We stand there staring at each other, I look from his lips back to his eyes.

"Let's prove to everyone that you aren't my whore," Matteo says as he leans in. His lips devour mine, not hungrily but delicately. As I kiss him back I hear everyone else at the ball cheer. Matteo pulls away and smirks at me, "I've been waiting to do that."

What the hell does he mean 'I've been waiting to do that'! He said he doesn't give two shots about me. This man is so confusing. I don't say anything though. I just enjoy the moment because even though I may not understand him, I still did enjoy the kiss.

Everyone begins to go back to what they were doing as Matteo and I walk off the dance floor. We walk to the bar when someone slowly claps three times behind us, "Well, if it isn't the little pretty lady with the second most powerful mafia boss in the world." Pretty lady count: five.

I turn around and am face to face with the one person I never wanted to see again. I can't breathe, I feel as if the room is closing in on me and the air has been sucked out. My legs buckle and I begin to fall but Matteo catches me, "Who are you? Eve, do you know him? And get your facts straight no one of more powerful than me."

"It's Him Matteo. I-It's him" is all I can manage to say. I feel hot tears sting my eyes and threaten to fall but I refuse to cry in front of him.

"You son of a bitch," Matteo reaches for his gun.

"I wouldn't do that. The moment you pull out your gun is the moment your friend Lorenzo dies."