Chapter 4

At the pawnshop, Mr Gold was packing a bag with several brochures and maps, checking his phone before typing a message when David barged in.

"It appears when I bought that 'closed' sign I was just throwing my money away," Mr Gold said as he turned to David.

"Looks like it," David said.

"Sorry to hear about your wife, sister-in-law and daughter. If you're looking for a retrieval, I'm afraid portal jumping is just outside my purview," Mr Gold said.

"Of course it is," David said.

"So, what's the commotion outside?" Mr Gold asked.

"Oh, a little stir at the border. Problem crossing the line," David said.

"Do tell," Mr Gold said.

"Actually, I'm here to buy something. A way to find someone," David said.

"Well, like a map?" Mr Gold questioned.

"Something with a bit more kick. Like the ring you gave me to find Snow," David said.

"Ah, yeah, magic. Whom are you following?" Mr Gold asked.

"Not telling," David said.

"So, do you have something of theirs, this missing person?" Mr Gold asked.

"Yes," David said.

"May I see it?" Mr Gold asked.

"No," David said.

Mr Gold chuckled softly and took a vial out of the box behind him, "Pour this on the object and then follow it. So simple, even David Nolan could do it," Mr Gold said.

Mr Gold held it in front of him, but pulled away when David went to take it, "What do you want?" David asked.

"Peace. Leave me alone," Mr Gold said.

"What do you care what David Nolan does?" David asked.

"Oh, no. It's Charming I worry about. I'd like a little non-interference guarantee," Mr Gold said.

"Fine. If you give me the same. You and I, we stay out of each other's way," David said.

Mr Gold handed over the potion and David took it, "Thank you for your business," David started to leave but Mr Gold interrupted him, "So, uh, what happens when you try and cross the border?" Mr Gold asked.